1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ariens LM 21SCH engine choice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twwlawn, Jun 5, 2006.

1. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was a Gravely / Ariens dealer today and he has the Ariens LM 21SCH with a Honda GXV160 or a Kawasaki FJ180V engine on them. The GXV160 is last years model and wants 858.00 out the door, or the Kawasaki FJ180V 709.00 out the door. Which one would you pick?
  2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Kawi, I have both.The Honda on Honda hydro's, The kawi on Exmark Metro 21's.The Kawi is heavier, but makes more torque and power then does the Honda. I wish the Kawi was on the Honda's lol.
  3. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

6'7 330, thanks for your thoughts, anyone else.
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I use a toro proline in a lawn service I work for part time and has a kawi on it. The kawi does have torque for thick lawns compared to the honda. I have a honda gxv 120 on my hr214 and seems powerful but the kawi has a little more power. But imo my cheap snapper with a briggs 6.5 has more power than both the kawi and honda. But between those the honda will last longer and require less repair and parts. Also I hear kawi parts aren't cheap. Just what I think.
  5. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I just bought an LM 21SW Deluxe with the same Kawasaki you describe. I'm very happy with the engine, and I've had great luck with Kawi engines in general over the years. You wouldn't go wrong with either the Honda or the Kawi if you maintain both properly by changing that oil! Since the sumps are so small on these little guys and there's no filter, that oil works overtime! It's VERY easy and really CHEAP insurance in my book.

I like these Ariens push mowers--mine's not called true commercial grade, but it looks very similar to the one you describe.
  6. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

coyotekid, I've been lusting after one of those mowers for quite awhile now, but I'm unsure about the caster wheels (which I'd love to have, provided they aren't a pita). Do you have much trouble keeping straight on an incline, or do you have to lock the casters after each turn?
  7. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

we are switching all to the mower you are asking about with the kaw. excellent mower choice, but your dealer is $100.00 to high out the door.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely/Ariens dealer. We sell the Kawasaki-powered machine 20 to 1 over the Honda. Lots more torque on the Kawi.
    Also, the commercial guys who buy these mowers, and a lot do, do not want the swivel wheels. The fixed wheel setup is easier to do height changes on when you change cut height several times/day. And, their helpers tend to lose the swivel wheel pins and clips that set the height on those swivel casters.
  9. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I like the swivel/crazy wheels myself...these are dang heavy mowers, and anything to help turn them is a plus. Heighth changes are no biggie--a 2 minute job. If you should happen to lose the pins...which I see no reason you should...cotter pins will work fine in a pinch until you can get more.