Ariens pricing watchout........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Here ya go. I have an Ariens 8 horse sweeper that needed a new chain. It’s a standard #40 chain 106 links (about 4.5 feet long). I checked my MSC Catalog and found the price for premium chain that size would be about $9.50. I checked my dealer and he wanted about $18.50 for the same size chain, from his person stock of roll chain. OK, I can accept my Dealer charging more for the chain.
    NOW……….. Here’s the fun part. I had already checked with my dealer for the price from Ariens, just because I wasn’t overly worried about the price and just thought I'd get the OEM chain. Hold onto your hats boys, the price from Ariens was $135.95. Did you hear that? This for 4 feet of #40 chain!!!!!!!
    My dealer was going to sell me the OEM chain for $129.40 with my 5% standard discount.
    So, I called Ariens and said, “Either you have a mistake in the price or you are arrogant enough to not care what the consumer thinks. I asked for a call back to confirm the problem. Guess what, they called back and said that’s the price, have a nice day.
    OK, so I hope those of you that have Ariens products check the price to maintain them. Oh yeah, they also wanted $22 for a 3 inch spring to hold the chain tensioner. I bought a spring that worked perfect at ACE hardware for $2.39. I hope Ariens hears this “LOUD AND CLEAR”, any of you guy’s thinking about buying any of their new mower BEWARE………I know I won't be replacing any of my old equipment with Ariens.
    DP

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Companys like that really piss me off!

3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats insane! I wish I could make $135 off something that only cost me less than $1 to provide. Maybe I should get in the parts business.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Don't be so hard on them. That money funds the industrial espionage operations arm of the company. ha ha

5. Doc Pete

I realize I'm bad mouthing a company, but I took the time to call them, explain the situation and pricing (the whole nine yards), and they call back and tell me that's just the price.
    Also, which I didn't mention the price of a small 5 inch piece of stamped steel that was the brakect the idler tensioner was bolted to...... The price for that...... $66.
    What we're talking is the chain, ilder wheel, spring for it and the bracket, a total of just about $300 complete.
    DP

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Echo runs a simular business. One of my helpers set a week old 260 trimmer on the ground behind the mower. Mower operator backs into the trimmer braking a small part on the carb. The dealer looks up the part on his list, $.37.....After 4 + months of trying to buy the part, my dealer is told that they won't sell "that" part. I had to buy a new carb $59.95.......What good is a parts brake down in a parts book if they won't sell the parts.

Gene

7. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an ariens pro 10/32 snowblower and they price the ariens brand belts the same way. Auto parts store price for a generic $16, ariens price $43. One price incident that always gets me in a bind is Walker parts. Example, one throttle cable $80!!! One choke cable $65(its a little shorter)!!!!!

8. Doc Pete

I was able to order the choke setup on my Echo Trimmer no problem, but I still understand what you're saying. I have an almost new PAS 2400 motor complete for like $60 if you need one.
    DP

9. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Gene,

Echo does not make the carb on that trimmer. Your dealer should have been smart enough to check with the carb distributor to get the part you needed. (Walbro or Zama)

I'm sure that the carb distributor could have gotten you the part you needed no problem.

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Think that's bad? Try $70 per gal for Hydro Oil for a Grasshopper G2 transmission. It takes 2 gal. By the way, that price was 3 years ago. I'm sure it has gone up since then.