Ariens question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oldskool203, Sep 26, 2004.

1. oldskool203

oldskool203 LawnSite Member

I have a question about buying my first 21" wb. I am in a little town on the Oregon coast and the only dealer we have is a Husqvarna/stihl distributer. I was thinking about buying an Ariens #911525 from them with the Briggs & Stratton but I want to know if this is a reliable mower. Or would it be better to buy mabye a Toro or more well known name mower. Also the commercial warranty on the Ariens is only 1yr., does that sound about right. They want $629 for the mower, but I am also going to get a bp blower and trimmer from the same dealer. Are equipment dealers price negotiable? Any help would be great.

2. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

Probably the best built home owner mower, you may want to check it out with 5.5 Honda over the briggs. 1 year warranty seams reasonable.

3. oldskool203

oldskool203 LawnSite Member

Would the 5.5 honda make it be considered a commercial mower?

4. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

nope, the Honda GCV engine runs about 50-60 more but starter repair are easier, air filter is cheaper, and go torque

5. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I have a 2 year old arians professional(Commercial) with the robin engine,heavy as he!! but it will go trough anything.So heavy in fact it is my back up 21" now.1 year warranty too.The thing to look for on the commercials is better bearings all round and a heavier drive wheel for the transmission.Have you looked into Honda stuff yet? The shop I deal with can get parts easy for them and he does not even sell Honda mowers.Just a thought.I find the Honda lighter and easier to do the about face at the end of each path. The other thing about the Arians is when it rains the drive mechanism slips something fierce.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer, and we sell the Gravely version of that Ariens mower. We have sold several to commercial mowing guys, and they seem to be working out ok. I will not even carry the Honda-powered version at our shop. Those Honda engines have no low end torque, and just die in heavy cutting or mulching conditions. Parts on the Honda are more expensive than parts for the B&S. The B&S engine on that Ariens is not a bad engine, if you keep the air filter and oil changed.
    Also, do not get the swivel wheel version. The front wheels are a pain when you need to change cutting heights.