ariens RM830

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by occfan, May 25, 2008.

1. occfan

occfan LawnSite Member

i have a ariens rm830 model # 925014 riding lawnmower that is about 25 years old and it runs great but i went to put it into nuetral to stop and it wont go we have tried everything to fix it and it just doesnt seem to work,,,any suggestions?

2. sidesbk03

sidesbk03 LawnSite Member

the problem description is a bit vague, BUT the unit does have a neutral safety switch .... my guess: you started it OK and while in operation the 25 year old wiring to that safety switch finally vibrated loose. Probably just bypassing the switch to the common (ground).

on the odds that you are scrapping her, I could use the carb.

3. sidesbk03

sidesbk03 LawnSite Member

the problem description is a bit vague, BUT the unit does have a neutral safety switch .... my guess: you started it OK and while in operation the 25 year old wiring to that safety switch finally vibrated loose. Probably just bypassing the switch to the common (ground).

on the odds that you are scrapping her, I could use the carb.

4. jerry38

jerry38 LawnSite Member

SideKick, I just picked up a 830, with 110vac start, I will be junking the motor, if anyone needs parts let me know.. the 830 will be going electric drive

Jerry NW Ohio

5. rumleyfips

rumleyfips LawnSite Member

I want to build a 48 volt electric mwer and have access to a couple of Ariens RM728's for $150 ( Canadian) plus a 2 1?2 hour drive. I want something with a short wheelbase and narrow track.

Does anyone have any comments, advice, warnings etc? Has anyone converted one?

Is the friction drive a good candidate for elecvtric. I want to use a constant speed , 3400 RPM motor and use the clutch and transmission to control surface speed. Is the 6" rubber tired friction disc ( #3003) I see available the correct piece?

If I buy these mowers, I promise some pictures and narrative about the conversion next spring. This is not winter work outside here in the Nova Scotia woods.

John

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than the part number being changed to 00170800, it should work. The drive disc is like those on the Snapper Comets and have been around for a long time.