Ariens snowblower with tecumseh?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shawns Lawns, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I am having this problem with my ariens 11.5hp 28" snowblower. Its 1year old and has maybe 2 hrs on it. When i am snowblowing i could use if for a hour with no trouble at all, then all of the sudden it looses just about all power. If i try to continue pushing it into the snow the enging will come close to dying. If i pull it back and wait about a minute its back to normal with no signs of what just happened. I have checked oil, gas supply line, auger belt for tighness, drive belt, and all controls and i am not able to find anything. Of course when i bring it in they need to see it happen before their eyes but it doesn't happen. :help:

2. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Two hours per year? Doesn't sound like a good investment but, of course, I'm from South Texas. :D

Sounds like the carb is icing up. Do you have a clean filter and the shrouds in place? When it's about to stall, is it exhausting black smoke?

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Thats one of those pieces of equipment that you are glad you have if the big one hits, even if you dont use it much until then. Kind of on par with having a generator. I havn't used mine much since the power went out for a week two years ago. I can assure you I was damned glad to have it then.

4. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

I bought it last year after the 2 and only snow storms we had. So this year its the first full season i have used it. The snow king engine form tecumseh does not have a air filter. There does not seem to be a fuel filter either. The shrouds are in place. Also when its about to stall there is no visible smoke at all. Not sure about the carb icing up but i will keep an eye out on that one. Any other possible trouble shooting i could do? :waving: :help:

5. t.rowland

t.rowland LawnSite Member

i am no expert but i would check and find out how to adjust governor on this machine if it stalls under load. (snow) good luck & keep reading posts & replys ! you will get an answer.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

My first thought............
    Sounds like the governor isn't working.

7. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

It could be the governor but only if it's sticking; Otherwise, it wouldn't pick up to speed again. Lube all the connections and throttle linkages. If there's no black smoke when it begins to stall then it's not loading up, it's running out of gas! Check for clogged fuel tank and/or lines. A sticking float valve will also starve the engine of gas.

8. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

That is some very good points, its snowing right now and when its done i will try it out again and let you know. Thank you :waving:

9. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If the unit was stored with gas in the tank you will find that the main jet is partially blocked. Shut off the fuel and pull the bowl nut which contains the main jet. If the bowl nut contains an adjustment screw, remove the adjustment screw and clean both orifices. Replace and turn adjustment screw out from fully in to start with, then adjust as necessary after running.

10. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

Ok we had some real big storms last week and after draining the tank and carb bowl and changing the spark and putting in fresh gas and making sure everything was (from what i could see) up to par. It did not slow down at all and it worked real good. Thanks for the help.