Ariens Zoom 2148 & 2352, Please someone have an opinion, I have...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Advance The Man, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

analysis by parallisis!

I had started this thread about why not get a Cub Cadet at Lowes for $3000. Well, I just test drove an Ariens 2148 with a Briggs and it is head an shoulders better feeling than the Cub Cadet. It's $4000. They also have an Ariens 2352 with a Kohler for $4300. I plan on keeping this for 8 - 10 years, so I don't mind paying the extra $. They have an automatic 2 year extension on the warranty for a total of 4 years vs. paying an additional $300 for the 4 year warranty for the Cub. The test drive felt so much smoother, the local dealer was so intelligent about the product, the machine has heavier grade of steel, it seemed faster, but if not it definetely was more responsive with the steering. Advice?

2. Advance The Man

They are both 2004 models, so this is why they're a decent price off of retail.

3. Advance The Man

Oh, one more thing. I absolutely hated the fact that when you go in reverse with the Cub Cadet, the PTO disengages!

The Ariens does not disengage. That's huge to me.

4. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

Just my opinion, but I had looked at Ariens last year and came close to buying one (don't remember the model), fortunately I test drove a Hustler Fastrak which changed my mind. Sort of how you described the difference between the Cub and Ariens, I felt was true between the Hustler and Ariens.

The Hustler frame was rock solid compared to the Ariens and I felt much more comfortable in it. I'd also much rather have a Honda versus B&S. I read their warranty is getting bumped up to 4 years now too. Hope that helps.

5. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

I didn't respond earlier because it seemed a Hustler Fastrack was out of your price range. It is by far, the best of the homeowner models. I am a homeowner like you and have spent a year looking/saving for a ztr. When I test drove a Fastrack, I knew I would buy a Hustler. The quality of product, smoothness of hydros and customer support cannot be matched by any other manufacturer. You should be able to find one for approx. $5k.

6. Advance The Man

Unfortunately, I've drawn a line in the sand at $4300 + tax. Wish I could, but too hard to justify. I'm leaning towards the 2352.

Anyone else own or have an opinion on the Ariens?

7. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

Fastrak 18/44 cost me $4300, don't regret it for a second.
    If price is your main criteria, look at the craftsman ZTR...it's made by Ariens.

I'd even get husqvarna over the Ariens... I really didn't care for the Ariens frame or the feel of the controls. It really just comes down to you test driving them for yourself. Hope this helps :waving:

8. Advance The Man

The husqvarna is no way better than the Ariens. It is definetely a step down. How large is your yard? I emailed a dealer who gave me a quote for a mini-fastrak 17/42 for $3295 to give me a quote for your size. Does yours ahve a Kohler or a Honda? What year is yours? Is it about 7 mph? It seems all of them are. Thanks.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Let me just ask, what kind of dollars are you willing to spend for a new mower?

10. Advance The Man

$4500 before taxes. and I want that figure to include a mulcher.