Ariens Zoom 2148XL vs. 2352 speed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MichaelMac, Mar 29, 2005.

1. MichaelMac

MichaelMac LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide between these two machines for residential use on a yard of about three acres. The Ariens 2148XL is a heavier duty 48 inch deck machine listed at 9 mph. The Ariens 2352 isn't as heavy-duty a machine, but has a 52 inch deck. It's speed is listed at 7 mph. My question: Will the faster speed of the 2148XL offset (or equal) the larger deck size of the slower 2352? The lawn being cut is flat with a variety of trees and obstacles. I'd say 75% of the lawn is open cutting, the remainder involves trees, flower beds, etc.

The 2148XL has larger tires, a hydraulic deck lift, heavier frame, dual hydro pump and wheel motor drive, and self-adjusting belts.

Thanks in advance for your advice. This site has given me a wealth of information. (I've never owned a zero-turn mower.) I'm spreading the word to my friends!
  2. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

MikeMac -

I'd go for the 48" ... I don't think the 4" would make that much difference and one of these (or maybe more) of these LCO guys have figured out the cutting times per deck size - so maybe one of them will chirp in and tell you how much those 4" will cost you in time.

But, I'd go for HEAVIER DUTY ... and speed.
  3. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

How much can you get each one for?
  4. MichaelMac

The 2148XL was priced at $4099 and the 2352 at $2199 both before tax. Both are excellent prices I believe. I've looked at the Hustler Fastrak 20/52 (Honda engine) as a demo (35 hours) for about $4600.

Thanks for your comments and advice. :waving:
  5. Advance The Man

That had to be a misprint ;) , $2199 for the 2352?! If not a misprint, hands down I'd get that.

What brand engine is on the 2148xl? I spoke with the Ariens regional rep last week about the xl series. He was very impressive with the description of quality of frame, pumps, I just don't remember the brand engine on it. Let me know if that was a misquote, what engine is on the xl - an I'll give my opinion on it.

6. MichaelMac

My apologies, I meant that to be $4099 for the 2148XL and $4199 for the 2352. I guess I wasn't fully awake!

Sorry about that. :dizzy:
  7. Advance The Man

What brand engine on each?
  8. MichaelMac

Both have Kohler Command Twin engines. The 2148XL has a 21 hp twin cylinder. The 2352 has the 23 hp twin cylinder.

The 48 inch 2148XL is a heavy duty machine, not quite commercial, but heavier than the residential 2352. I'm just wondering whether the 2148XL at 9 mph will cut as fast or equal to the 2352 at 7 mph. I realize there are other factors to consider.

9. Advance The Man

I'd go with the 2148xl over both the 2352 and the Hustler.

2148xl over the 2352 b/c of superior parts, durability and speed. Really don't think the lack of 4" deck will be that big of a deal.

2148xl over the Hustler b/c the Hustler is used, the xl has superior dual pumps and it's $500 less expensive.
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer. The 2148XL is a way better, heavier built machine than the 2352. You will never notice the difference in deck size. The 2148 is a true commercial machine with independent wheel motors and hydro pumps. The just put a homeowner type deck on it instead of a commercial deck. The homeowner deck is itself, pretty heavy, just not massive like the commercial deck. Your best option, by far, is the 2148.