Arizona - here I come!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yard Perfect, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

We are think about relocating to Arizona (Mesa area). I am in the Pacific Northwest and keep about a 100 accounts weekly here, mostly mow, edge and blow. Will there be opportunities for us in the hot sun. Will I be able to hire English speaking folks? How do you deal with the heat? snakes? spiders? lack of lawns or do I look for another line of work?
  2. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Dude I took a vacation to vegas, where I drove to the grand canyon and put 1400 miles on the rental car going around northern Arizona and Utah..............................................................................

There's no f'n grass to cut. :nono: :laugh:
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Oh stay where you are or look for another line of work.
  4. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

Its more about maintenance of shrubs,trees etc than mowing lawns. There are lawns to maintain but its a lot less than you are used to. You will have a hard time finding english speaking help. Learn all you can about desert plants, xeriscape, drip irrigation, etc. Having said that, after figuring it all out, you can be very profitable here. There are nice parts of Mesa, but most of it is a dump. Gilbert is a lot better. I am currently experiencing a strong backlash against non english speaking gardeners/landscapers. People are telling me they are sick of trying to communicate with people working at their house who don't have more than a 10 word english vocabulary. As far as the heat goes, I cover up completly, big hat, long sleeves, long pants, gloves, no exposed skin, and about 20 oz. of water about every twenty minutes. Now is a good time to come because the part-time, Home Depot equipment guys and the faint of heart are dropping like flys...............
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Beous Dias Senior der is da mucho grass tu cut! lol. Seriously there are already a zillion lawnboys here and illegals are rampant but there are guys surving. Lawns for the most part are tiny, installs and renovations are the way to go out here. Scorpions are encountered more often than snakes. Snakes are more common in the newer areas and out towards areas that are close to desert areas. As for your crew you better learn the Espanol mucho rapido dude (or is it duda?). I suggest coming out here right now, a nice comfy 115 degree day and ride around in the sun for a week to get a feel for it.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Oh I forgot to mention bring your Kevlar vest and helmet now too since the sniper has arrived. Maybe you should consider Bagdad instead? Less competition, more snakes though.....
  7. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Hardly any grass.Small lawns maybe a $10-$15 dollar lawns. I used to live in vegas they either have zero scape or get this, astroturf!!!, which actually is pretty cool.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I ain't never been to AZ but I've been to southern ID and Utah, a small part of nevada and also new mexico...

He's right, there's NO grass to cut, but a few looniebins who must be from someplace else do manage to get a green lawn and sure enough there's an Lco as well, but it's way scarce, I think I saw one outfit per year in the 2 years I spent out there.
  9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well i have heard every thing, you are in a good area for mowing and you wish to move to a worse area ?:confused:

Good luck with what you decide anyway.:)
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Can't discount the temperature thing, if I could I would look for a cool place to work outside, not a hot place. We had a family friend that had to go to Vegas to work on a trenching team for two years.....he is real glad to be back to Texas.