armadillo problems

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tarp5350, Mar 19, 2007.

1. tarp5350

tarp5350 LawnSite Member

does anybody know how to get rid of armadillos from digging up your yard.in the past i have been getting up in the middle of the night and with my wife holding the spotlight i would shoot them, but i am getting too old for this and my wife said she wasn,t going to do this anymore. they are getting real bad since it is turning warm now. do they make a chemical i can put down to keep them away?

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

How about a lazer gunsight. At least your wife would not have to get up. You can also mount a small intensity flashlight such as a Streamlite on your rifle.

3. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

There ya go! Surefire also makes pistol and rifle mount tactical lights as well, for military and LE purposes. Either that or get the inexpensive Surefire G2 Nitrolon handheld light and use one of the flashlight-assisted shooting techniques :)

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Treat your yard for grubs - that is what they are digging. If you kill one , another will just take its place if there is a lot of food in your yard.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Why not build a paved road through your yard? That seems to be a good eradication method.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I had a problem with some pole cats (skunks) and the thing is you need to eliminate their food supply and also any possible nesting grounds. What they're doing is digging for grubs and insects, which they eat.

Home Depot sells this stuff, it's in a gloss black and green plastic 25 lb. bag labeled: Spectracide / Triazicide Once & Done, Insect Killer
    Costs probably $20 or so a bag and you'll need a spreader, each bag covers about 1/2 acre but I have an acre lot and bought two bags and thou one was enough it really only covered 1/4 acre, maybe I had the spreader setting wrong but you want two bags, spread one and keep the other or whatever.

Works great, I ain't seen no more pole cats since the day I put it down, I spreaded it only where they were rummaging and then some, but not the whole yard (which is why I kept the 2nd bag).

As for nesting grounds, if you have piles of sticks and leaves, see about disturbing or destroying these piles, critters like to nest up in there so then if you do all this the rodents will go elsewhere and your problem should be fixed.

7. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I'm of the opinion that if you kill the grubs, you also kill earthworms, which is detrimental to the health of your lawn.

I personally think that shooting them is about the best solution, but as you have pointed out, they are nocturnal, and you have to keep going out at night to spot them so you can do them in.

If you have one fairly small area where they seem to repeatedly dig, you might consider a steel leghold trap. They can be purchased at many farm or hunting suppliers. Anchor it VERY securely with a chain to a nearby tree. Don't have too much chain--once trapped, the buggers will totally destroy everything within reach in efforts to get away (by digging). When you find one is held by your trap, shoot the thing, in daylight.

I do not know what bait you might use to attract the armadillo to the trap. It might be just random wandering that gets the varmint to the trap. I have not yet caught an armadillo this way, but have caught one of my marauding skunks. I have also used livetraps baited with cat food to catch possums and racoons. I released those alive in the National Forest near here. I wouldn't risk getting sprayed by trying to release a skunk alive, and the armadillos are non-native invaders that are destructive of the habitat, even in the wild.

I guess those who live in an area where they could not get away with firing a .22, could just mash the critter's head with a pick-ax, once it is in a trap.