1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Armrest controls on a ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dirty Water, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Would any of you experienced mowers switch to a ZTR that operated with armrest mounted joysticks (like an excavator) over the current design on control sticks?

Since I've logged a lot of time in a excavator, and absolutely love armrest controls, I wonder why its not in other equipment.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

My only guess would be cost.
    It would be an improvement in my mind but would certainly be more costly as well.
  3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have seen a ZTR with a joy stick control. I can't remember for sure what the brand was, but Toro sticks in mind.
  4. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Country Clipper. I haven't used one but there is an LCO here who has one and says he wouldn't own anything else. Made right here in Iowa too.
  5. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

snapper makes one also there is a guy here that runs one. he tells me that it will not do a true zero turn though.
  6. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I do not know about the Snapper Joystick control, BUT the Country Clipper Joystick control will absolutely do a true Zero Turn. It can actually be set up so that during a zero turn you can "choke off" the turn rate so that you are less apt to tear up the turf.
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love it, excavators are so smooth operating, also it would open up a bail out route, damn bars almost killed me last year when I came around a pine tree near swamp and a dead swamp tree stuck me in the neck, natural reaction is to push back, well that pushes the foreward speed up.