Army worms- they're everywhere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jul 3, 2001.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Almost every lawn I was on today had some army worms. Some were worse than others. One of the lawns had so many that the lawn is brown and 65% of the grass blades are dead. Irrigated lawns are now only starting to be affected. Another LCO said he has been doing this for 18 years and never seen them like this. The local cooperative extension here says to use Dylox or Sevin. The pesticide company used Talstar on one of them today. What do you people use to get rid of these things. I would think that a liquid would work the quickest, to come in contact with the worm. And yes I do have a pesticide license, but no they did not teach us what products to use.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

whats an army worm? if its like a grub i can tell you i have them everywhere. this last week, i have seen several lawns outbreak with grubs. damn those things. one week the lawns look great and the next they look like a neglected yard that needs to be replaced.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

To me it looks like a catapillar, just not fuzzy. About the same color and size. At least that is what the local co-op is calling them.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

yeh. i found out what they look like. i have tons in my lawn. i thought they were a type of grub but i guess not. my lawn and a lot of others are turning really brown. they are really heat stressed. time for some normal non radical weather

5. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

A spoon full of soap in a gallon of water and pour it on your yard and watch if you have them they will come up soon!!! 80% 7 from the COOP works for me but I have heard a mild solution of bleach water will do them in to. And is a lot cheaper but I have never tried this approach.

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Go here to learn why you are seeing them where they don't belong & what to do.
    http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/armyworms/index.html

My neighbor walked over yesterday & said I've got all of these worms attacking, can you help? His lawn is about 50% gone in the back yard (I don't really see it because it is screened from me, or maybe I might have noticed a problem sooner). So I told him next time he sees the lawn dying to tell me so we can do something about it sooner. They're invading his house every night at sundown and it looks like the neighbor on his other side has them too. I haven't seen them anywhere else, but will be looking closer now. I hope they don't come over to my yard.