Army worms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fvstringpicker, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

We are experiencing an infestation of army worms in west georgia. They have decimated a number of bermuda lawns in my neighborhood

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

few years ago we had army worm population in biblical proportions. something that was never experienced here before, ever. A once in a life time event.
    Some neighborhoods you could not even see the turf through the army worms crawlin all over.

it was amazing the damage those things do

it was just as amazing to see our cool season turf bounce right back with watering and fert.

we used talstar as a control....couldnt keep up with the calls. easy enough to get control though.
    the large national company was charging 3 even 4 times their normal rate. A friend was working for them at the time and he said when you pull up to the house if the housewife is to afraid to even open the door they automaticly charge 4 times rate

crazy

good luck

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

We went thru an infestation like that about 6 years ago here. If you had a spray tank and the chemical you made a ton of money. On the other hand it was still insane. Some things I was given to use, like tempo, had no effect on them that I could see. Dursban was still available in it's full strength at the time and it worked like magic in just a few hours time. Very devistating on all grasses here but you could really see the effects by driving by ball feilds and such, just stripped and brown.

Never really got any good answer as to WHY there was so many all at once like that either. They are the larve of the miller moth, but that spring or even the prior year the moths weren't that bad. I remember about 5 years prior to that we had so many moths you couldn't hardly walk into on open structure without getting swarmed. All those moths then but I don't remember any lawn eating worms...

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

That population lawnservice (above) mentioned was very strange, that was the last year we used dursban. People were really freaking out!

5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I miss dursban!
    Ah the smell of dursban in the morning, it reminds me of.................

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Dursban was great, talstar works fine and its low oder but its not as cheap as dursban.

7. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

We had them last week here in Montgomery. Talstar took care of them.