Arrrh! Scabs Are Infesting My Town

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What is going on this year?

Everyone and their brother now has a trailer and mower.

And customers are getting stingy, too. Hard to charge what I could 3 years ago now that the lowballers are out in full force.

All started about five years ago when one guy put "Most Lawns Cut for $17.95" on magnetic signs on his trucks.

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We have ALOT of those in my area. They never last more than a season or two. Cheap equipment, old trucks, no insurance. Catches up to them sooner or later then they come to me looking for a job.

As the old saying goes...tough times don't last, tough people do!:cool:

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a local Lawn Care association or organization for other proffesionals like yourself? If not, get with some other guys and try to start one!

This will do one of two things (hopefully)

1. It can draw these $17.95 bargain pricers to your organization where they can learn of all the real $$ they can be making and how charging so low is bringing down industry and local standards.

or

2. You can get all the real "pro's" together that see the problem and do different things to inform the public on why you cost x$ more than this scrub.

Good Luck!

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

early in the season this one guy advertised in the local paper:
    Lawn Mowing
    Avg. Lawn $15
    Senior Discounts
    Neighbor Discounts
    Free Estimates
    ###-####

Talk about no profit.
    Avg. Lawn here are from $25-$45

Most new peole are using 36" 1980's belt walkbehinds
    Home depot trimmers, handheald blowers, no edgers.
    I've gotten more people walk up to me and complain about thier LCO. and ask how my lawn looked so nice. I usually take a look at thier lawn. and tell them its because of the equip. the people, the blades are dull, diffrent hights, to short. Most people then agree I know what I'm talking about and ask me to call them next year, or cut starting next month.

A lot of people are going to be gone soon anyways by pulling a 12-14 ft. trailer with a mid sise car or minivan. Thay wont insest a few g's into a new tranny.
    The Dealers are making a killing by fixing old equip. and doing basic oil changes for these people tho don't even know how.

5. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

I'm about tired of all the extra work for free. Book keeping, mechanic.psycoligist,bioligist, botnist,engineer, entmoligist, friend to the elderly, all for what?

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

curlawngeen:what?? you didn't know that all came with the job? and do you make enough to cover YOUR shrink and stress management classes just to deal with these people.i know i don't.

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

in my area we are infested with the scabs too, but i don't care really, i have enough work to keep me going 7-12 hours a day, next year i'll care when i add another crew. but 10 of th these will go away and 20 more will appear and they keep coming.
    its sad that they work for so less compared to us, but look at though their eyes they could be out of work and need the money to suport their family till the next job. or something of that nature.
    look though our eyes, they are driving down our prices and giving all lcp a very bad name and a worse steroe type.
    its a lose/lose situation for all of us.

8. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

On the way to one of our yards we saw a sign that says,
    "The Lawnmower Man"
    "Most Yards $20"
    My brother and I just turned our heads and chuckled. To think he could get a lot more than 20 dollars if he wouldn't put that stupid sign in his yard.
    I thought of a "cool, new tactic for drawing business" and almost put it to use.
    The first cut is free!!
    Boy am I glad I didn't do that!
    Experience is Priceless!
    Just turn your head and move on with your business and they will shoot themselves in the foot most likely one too many times and get out of the business.
    Good Luck!

9. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I really think it's the nature of the business. After all, mowing is not rocket science. It's the 'perfect' part-time job. The last three mornings, when walking through the parking lot at work (large manufacturing plant), I saw different trailers stuffed with lawn equipment. Guys get off work and go mow a few lawns for a little extra cash. When I was young, there were no lawn care businesses, only kids making spending money. There's still kids doing that. It's a great summer job. It's seems this forum has gotten awfully full of complaints about the part-timers and kids, but they're not going away, so it's best to accept it and provide services that they can't.

10. GrassWorx

GrassWorx LawnSite Member

i was talking to a client after i finished cutting his grass when this kid across the street walked over. The kid told the guy him and his father would cut his(the clients) grass for $20 which was $20 less than what i was charging. The client told him that he already had a lawnservice company and we just laught about it. I told the client that i would have took him up on that $20 service. He said he was happy with who he had. But i thought it was great that the kid was really trying to work you just don't see to many kids out trying to make a dollar anymore.
    and that is my two cents