Arse whoopin' from leaves!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevo22, Nov 22, 2002.

1. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

did my first major leaf cleanup today..lot is approx .75acre..our town has curbside leaf pick up so that is what the customer wanted..used redmax7000 and tarp..almost ashamed of the $$ i made, did not make, on this job..took 4.5 hrr/$150..few things i learned/confirmed from reading on this site..

1. leaf removal usually will take longer than you tink.
    2. paying a helper will speed things up tremendously/time and $$ wise.
    3. redmax7000, is just an awesome b/p--hands down
    4. deffinately need a ztr w/ bagging system to make it worth while.

took some digt. pics but the camera is alitlle old and they did not turn out real good..

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Stevo, I hear you. Compared to leaf work mowing is a picnic. One thing you might consider is just going after the smaller lawns. My partner and I gave up bidding on most larger lawns because we don't have a truckloader or other appropriate equipment for such lawns. We seemed to spend way too much time on those lawns for the money. Other than our normal 140 or so customer base we mainly target smaller lawns 1/4 acre or less. Most the time we use a couple of 21inch Toro prolines that mulch beautifully. Average job is usually 100 and we are there about 1.5 hours on average. You don't have to spend thousands on a Z to make money at leaf work. Just my opinion though. Our main money comes from mowing, the leaves are just gravey money for us.

take care

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Join the club. We've all got ours kicked with leaves. Actually most of us still do from time to time. I usually underestimate at least a couple every season. I've done good so far this year, but the Oaks are still holding on real good. There is still plenty of time to learn many more leaf lessons. ;)

4. stevo22

thx coonman--i did not really target this home...the call came from an ad in the local paper..have had three this week finally..i did learn how much i can get done in x amount of time though..i really do not want an expensive z jst for leaves..i am buying a hustler super z in the spring..i'll just have to suck it up this fall and hopefully if all goes well i'll have an easier time w/ the leaves next yr..

5. stevo22

hoss--i would like to hook up w/ you some time and maybe buy you lunch and pick your brain a little about this crazy business..maybe after things slow down a bit we could meet at hooters for some wings, and eye candy of course..

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

:drinkup: Wings, beer, and b.... Sounds good to me.

7. Miller Mowing

Miller Mowing LawnSite Member

I guess stuff must be totally different in my area, because I would absolutely jump at the chance to do leaves on that size yard for $150.00!!! That figures out to be around $33.00 an hour if I am not mistaken! This past Monday I spent 4.5 hours blowing leaves at one place to make $40.00. That figures out to about $8.00 an hour. In the area that most of my jobs are in, most of us commercial/residential Lawn Service guys cant really expect more than $8.00 to $15.00 an hour at best. And that is providing the equipment. Less if you use the equipment of the client. (which by the way I don't do)

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'll bet some pros from central Indiana would beg to differ.:)

9. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

someone from indy tell this guy he is killin' himself for nothin'

we all thought at one time peolpe would not pay that kind of money for your services, but the fact is they will only pay what you charge...... they dont pay more because you dont charge more.....look at it like this.... 4 jobsx2hrs each at $8.00/hr= 64.00 or 1 job time 2.0hrs at $50/hr =$100.00 what i am getting at-even if you only get 25% of the jobs you are getting now you still make more money. but more importantly you are more profitable

shawn

10. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I live in and around muncie indiana and you are so right about this guy killing himself for 8 bucks a hr. I wont and i stress wont do any leaf work for less than 35.00 a hr. It is much harder on eqipment and your body than regular mowing . If they wont pay what you have to have let them find someone else to do the job,i wont or dont do this for beer money oh btw i still have 2 clean ups to do and we have 4 inchs ofsnow on ground this am so i guess they prob wont get done this year as they will be almost impossible to do being that wet after snow melts if it does