1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

arsenic in landscape timbers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawngeek, May 9, 2001.

1. Lawngeek

Lawngeek Guest

I recently built a 12 by 32 vegetable garden frame w my landlord using treated timbers now will the aresenic leach into the garden soil and poison us do I need to make a barrier?
  2. wd

wd LawnSite Member

You're more apt to get far more arsenic from your tap water (and other natural sources) than from your garden timbers.
  3. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

There is presently a ground water arsenic analysis going on in New England by a government agency. It seems that there is a vain of arsenic that goes from Maine to New Jersey and it is believed to be leaching into the ground water. It came up last fall at a town meeting in Woodstock, Ct and nothing has been mentioned since. I believe that it was the EPA that was conducting the study. There has also been a study of acid rain effect on pressure treated lumber and it has shown to be a cause of arsenic contamination of soil. I don't know the particulars of this study, but just heard about it in a magazine article last winter. That is all the information that I can provide.
  4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

There are different levels of treatment in timbers. Pilings used in building docks and bulkheads have much higher levels of tratment. I would worry more about splinters I get from those timbers than eating the veggies. You could always wrap the in ground timbers in black plastic and shed the water away from the garden area.