1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Articulated Exteneded Reach Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Whitey4, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

No doubt, while I am happy with my Husky 36" double sided hedge trimmer, I have to get an extended reach trimmer too. Less ladder, less leaning, less ladder moving and safer. I have some tall hedges I just can't finish with my 36" trimmer and 12 foot ladder. Having a backup is also a nice thing to have.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Husky 326HE4X or the Redmax LTRZ2401. Anyone have experience with these two machines? Is there another machine I should be taking a look at?

TYIA.....

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl that works good for me. Never used other brands, so I can't compare. I still get some hedges that even the pole clipper won't reach, so I try to get the customer to let me prune them back in early spring so that they are manageable.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you perchance have a model number? My two dealers... I'm not even sure they carry Stihl. One of them might, i'll have to check.

I can get about 90% of my customer's hedges now, I'm sure an extended reach would solve my problem. If the things are over 15', I beg off and tell them to get a tree guy. I know my limitations!

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

What I do is buy the short reach headge trimmers and if I need the extra lenght I put the headge head onto my string trimmer. I reall like the short reach redmax and the kawasaki because od the narrow teeth on the blades {I have both}. I had a stihl, and while it was the easiest to change angles, I sold it because I did not like the way it cut. The narrow teeth cut dense shrubs like dwarf yaupon and boxwoods wonderful. I know that the redmax and the kawasaki heads have the same size tube and driveshaft. After owning the short/long shaft trimmers I hardly ever use my plain double sided trimmers.