Articulating hedge trimmer's...which one?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nobagger, May 31, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am having nothing but trouble with the dealer I switched to. I've spent probably 15k there in 2 months, not that, thats a lot of money in this industry but none-the-less a lot of money. All I get is the run around. I ordered a Echo articulating hedge trimmers and they should have been here Tuesday so I called and no trimmers yet, they didnt even order them! Something about the "freight" would be a lot of money if they just ordered those in. How much could freight be on something that weighs 12lbs:confused: So he trys to sell me the Echo trimmer that has the split shaft and the hedge trimmer attachment for about 75 bucks more and says the price would even out because I wouldnt have to pay freight....75 bucks to ship a 12lb trimmer! no thanks. But he also sells Red Max and Shiwanda products. Sorry for the rant but what the hell!

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Pretty much all trimmers that ship in a box assembled would fall into the oversize class if shipped UPS or FedEx. Also, most trimmers (commercial) ship 2 per box, so your dealer has to order more than just the one you might need.

You should get on UPS.com and figure the size of the box to get the true shipping cost. It is not based just on the weight, it is based more on the size of the package and how much room it will take up. We stopped having our equipment shipped UPS when it started costing $30 to get two trimmers in, and that's about 3/4 of the profit made if sold at list. Any equipment we get in now comes on a Friday on the distributor delivery truck for a flat truck stop charge of $14.95.

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i would agree with your dealer. I sold some straight shaft trimmers on ebay and it cost me 50 bucks a piece to ups them out!!!!!!

However, he should have know this from experience. The price you pay for not stocking a unit. Any special orders I have sent in, if i don't make enough to cover shipping and still make a profit on (((which your dealer won't on this unit)))), i split the shipping with the customer.

As far as the unit goes, the PAS system from Echo is great. I think they have more attachments then anyone out there. I know they have more then Husky, i have both.

The PAS230 will run everything, however, if you plan on the broom or the paddle, go with the 260.

The gearcase on the HCA attachement has been really beefed up. And, you will find the use for some of those attachments down the road and be glad you had it rather than having to buy a whole other tool.

You should be looking at 500 for the fixed unit, and 580 for the splitshaft/attachment set up. I would spend the 100 bucks for the string trimmer attachment too. That way if one of your trimmers craps out, you can throw it on the power head and you aren't loosing time without it.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

of the articulated ones i have used -the shin is best

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have two of the Echo articulating units and they are good....but the new SHC212 is a very productive hedge trimmer. It is a lot lighter and in the end I think we might go away from the articulating units....just too heavy for most workers(and me) to use for any extended time.

6. nobagger

from Pa

I decided on the Sthil KM110R. I picked it up today from a different dealer who I'll be using from now on. This unit is a split shaft and it has more power then the Echo's did (Sthil-31.4cc, Echo-26.something cc) and best of all it was cheaper with tax then the Echo's were without tax! The other dealer did call back with a solution but its about a week and a half too late! I tried it out on a few of my shrubs and there is some weight to it but I have nothing to compare it to but all in all its great not having to climb ladders or standing on tippy-toes to trim OR best of all not leaning into nasty spider webs....yuk! The "new dealer" I'm going to be dealing with also owns a large landscaping company so I didnt like giving money to a competitor but maybe this is a good thing, at least he knows when ya need stuff ya usually need it yesterday!

7. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have both the Echo on a pas 260 and the redmax. The redmax is lighter and has a finer cutting head. I like the Redmax the best. I use the echo for thick bushes and use the redman on everything else.

8. nobagger

from Pa

Thats what I liked about the Sthil's, the openings are huge. I thought my Echo (regualr hedge trimmer's) were big but these things are almost double the size.

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Stihl also - a great machine . Your'e right , its a bit heavy but very strong and it will cut the big stuff.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I agree... I think the Stihl is one tough trimmer. I had an articulating one, but I think they are a waste of money. They are heavier, more expensive, and have more moving parts to fail.