Articulating hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Sep 27, 2003.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm wanting to here some comments on articulating hedge trimmers from anyone that uses or has one. I'm considering two brands.. Stihl and Shindaiwa before making a purchase. I like the Shindaiwa, but I've been hearing some comments about Shindaiwa quality going down hill lately. I've used a lot of Stihl equipment in the past and generally had great service from their equipment. Any advice from experience?

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I have the shin. combo articulating trimmer and I looked at this unit vs. the sthil and this one articulates something like 180 degrees vs. 90 degrees for the sthil. ( these numbers are just from memory so they may be off a bit)Have had know trouble with it what so ever starts the first time. It also has stainless blades and I don't think the sthil does. My opinion the way to go? Shindiawa. :)

3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa !!! I love mine.... They are one of the best things I bought all year.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have the echo hca 2400 long reach articulators. I find that I use them for everything now except for the smallest of shrubs or real tight quarters. Mine only articulate in one direction, but I understand the shidiawa's articulate 180. If I was buying a new pair those are what I'd get.

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the shindaiwa m231 with the hedge clippers.man is that setup heavy,but it works great on taller shrubs and hedges.im not the type of person that likes going on ladders.it does a great job shaping.

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

The only thing I use to hedge shrubs is the shindaiwa articulating hedge trimmers. I love them, even on small hedges. And being able to fold the head all the way down to the shaft, makes it easyer to put on the trimmer rack.

8. Oh! I was wondering why anyone would want 180 degree articulation. Thanks for the posting.

Dave

9. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I have the Shindaiwa, and feel in lacks power, runs great,starts easy. 180 is good for trimming the tops of hedges without the use of a ladder, or rotate and trim small bushes without bending over.

10. Jrudd007

Jrudd007 LawnSite Member

I too have the Shindiwa articulating hedge trimmer attachment for my t230 and I love it. It gives an awesome cut and I have used it to trim stuff as big as lilac branches. I don't even carry a ladder around now it is so convient, I have used it more times than I would have ever thought.
    Later, Justin