Artillery Fungus in Mulch Bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marbleman, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Marbleman

Marbleman LawnSite Member

I have a client with Artillery Fungus in a mulch bed that was remulched last fall. The area was mulched with pine/spruce bark mulch. The area is on the north side of the house, (other sunnier locations do not have a problem. I am looking for ways to correct this situation.
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a tough fungus. Lots of little dots and hard to get off.
  3. Marbleman

Marbleman LawnSite Member

The house is in the process of being prepped for repainting. My question is what to do with the existing mulch to prevent this from happening again. New mulch, or remove existing mulch, is there some type of fungicide????
  4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

In my reading lately it doesn't seem to have any way to rid the mulch of it. Wood chips and bark mulch seem to have the most problems. Keeping the air circulating by raking and fluffing helps but on the north side shade would be harder to prevent. They suggest cedar or cypress mulch but the problem may persist. Stones, pea gravel or marble chips they also suggest but I personally don't like that.
  5. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

dealt w/ it a lot, i charge the customer at least twice a year to cultivate the mulch, fungus loves when mulch packs down, and is usually found underneathe the shrubs, had it happen at a factory i took care of, got all over the cars in the parking lot.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

My experience with fungus of various types in mulch is that they're much more likely to 'rear their ugly heads' when the pH is higher, at least around here. This is not a fast solution that you're looking for, but it's worked for me before in the past. I incorporate split-pea sulfur into the lower levels of mulch nearest the ground, and then 'dress' it with a thin layer of clean mulch at the top to finish it ( because sulfur is an ugly yellow).
    And yes, turning the mulch at times is good, too.