1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

As an owner/operator what are your biggest frustrations and how do you handle them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I started this over in the fert forum and got no replies.
    Kind'a surpised by that.
    So I figured I'd try here too.
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I make sure i have extras in the truck such as belts, filters and sharp blades. I maintain the mowers every night and make sure they are ready for the next day.

Either that or weather but i cant change that.
  3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Working solo, I find, doesn't leave enough time for me to really focus on the business side of the company as I would like. Too busy doing the actual work. I log on here and stumble across some nice ideas that I would like to experiment with, but it's hard to work outside for 10-12 hours a day and then come home and be able to focus on the other stuff.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Being paid promptly. Answer...full time bookkeeper and collections as of 01/03/05
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good man, i love it. collection agency, or 2 am door kicking in?
  7. rodfather

Actually, I am seriously considering hiring a new outfit by the name of "BG & Associates". Their moto on their front door reads, "Have Shovel, Will Travel". Catchy, don't ya think?
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thats got to be one of the funnest things I have read here in a while.
    But my question is how far will they travel?
  9. rodfather

We haven't discussed mileage compensation yet. I just hope they show up with one of those big, older Lincolns with the VERY deep trunks...for money AND bodies.
  10. Summertime Lawn

Summertime Lawn LawnSite Member

As for collections, I had guy that had been ducking me for quite some time. So, on New Years Eve, I went to his house with a summary of his account and how much he owed me in plain sight. When he was not home I gave it to his 13 year old daughter and said "have your dad call me." Check in hand two days later.