ASAP Kohler 25 hp clicks when turning key

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joceppy, Apr 5, 2006.

1. joceppy

joceppy LawnSite Member
    from TN

Hi Guys, Yazoo/kees 25 hp Kohler 160 hrs...when I turn the key I get a metallic clunk or click,? at starter or solenoid,? then I return key back and do it again and same thing. Its a starter/solenoid combo..{"solenoid shift style"}
    All obvious wire battery connections /starter conn. are tight. Handles ,Brake etc are correct position..and since something is clicking its getting somekind of electric power.so doesnt that mean that the relays and or fuses are working?last yr sometimes I would turn the key 5-10 x and it will start up during one of these times? sometimes I would do it and eventually the click would stop,so I figured I drained the battery?I also have tried jumping w cables from lawn tractor and still nothing.so I figure battery is not the problem?but it is a couple of yrs old. thanks for any thoughts. Joceppy:usflag:

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would double check all your electrical conecctions. check and charge the battery if nessecary. Also, Check the wireing harness conection at the key switch. Let us know from there!

3. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Make sure the engine spins over freely by hand and the battery is fully charged. If this engine is under warranty, go that route first. If not:

I am assuming you have a 25 098 09-S starter.....

I would check for continuity between the two large posts on the back of the solenoid while the solenoid is engaged (12 volts applied to the small blade terminal). For this test, disconnect the large battery wire and any other wires from the upper large stud on the back of the solenoid. If there is not continuity when there is 12 volts at the small blade terminal, the solenoid will need to be replaced.

Kohler part no. 25 435 06-S

Good luck!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could one not set a multimeter on voltage, Ground the black lead and touch the red lead to the lug feeding voltage to the starter motor it's self and get the same end results ? Quite a few units feed voltage through the harness off the battery lug on the solenoid with a smaller wire. If disconnected there would be no voltage going to the blade terminal wire, Therefore the battery cable and smaller harness feed wire would have to be connected together while off the solenoid lug or a jumper lead used to supply the blade connector on the solenoid with power to perform a continuity test ?

5. joceppy

joceppy LawnSite Member
    from TN

Okay thanks for the quick input,it will give me some things to try. I will let yall know. The wife is a little stressed out about it, as we have about 9 acres to mow for an Easter party April 9th....
    Middle Tn in spring.....Love the smell of wild onions on that first cut of the season....makes me eyes water:cry: