Ashes on the lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinger, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled up to a 3 acre residence on the river and upon walking the grounds before cutting I discovered several large areas of fireplace ash dumped in numerous spots around the lawn. There was no way to really mow around the various piles without making my stripes all crooked so I instructed my employees to mow through it resulting in a very large cloud of dust. This stuff was like talcum powder, I mean just plain awful. We pulled the precleaners off the air filters and replaced them with fresh ones upon completion of this job.
    I politely explained that she should dump her ashes in the garden or anyplace else besides the lawn due to the ammount of dust it creates is not good for my equipment. She assured me that she would do so next time she cleaned out the fireplace. Well I guess she forgot or said screw the lawn guys because the same thing happend again two weeks later. When I inquired to her the second time she said it should be ok because the sprinklers watered it in.
    My question to you is should I charge this lady for replacing air filters on the mowers, or just hide it in the cost of my fertilization or other services we provide to her account? I'd really like to tell her to fly go fly a kite but she is a $500+ monthly account, thanks!

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

well ...that's an iffey one ...she's a good payer ....I'd say if it happens a 3rd time .....get a blower and blow the pile clear .....mow & let her know that if it continues you can blow the piles at "an added cost" ....that may not be the answer but just my .02

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you really like the lawn, just grin and bare it. Add the money for a new air filter on another job that you do for this person. Maybe hedges or seeding.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just mow aroundum .If she says anything tell her its killing your equip.

5. maybe i am just real tired here or something but my soils teacher was saying something about how ashes from fireplaces are no good for people and lawns and what not because they contain some form of toxic either gas or other form of chemical that is not good for people and / or plants. he went on to tell us that a couple of kids had gotten sick from overexposure to that form of waste. so maybe it may be a good idea for you to inform your client of this?

6. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

At 5 bills a month, I'd go buy a respiratorand mow on! Besides it will be warm soon and no need for a fire.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

In another few weeks she isn't going to need the fireplace thus no more ashes. Grin and bear it. If it's that bad...go around the piles. Obviously she could care less about stripes.

8. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Good money? Blow to disperse the pile(s) and work a charge for the time into fertilization or whatever...

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

For $500.00 a month I'd clean the fireplace out FOR HER! Just blow the ashes towards her house next time and wait for the dust to settle then mow it.

10. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

I agree guys, I think Spring has sprung and hopefully with this warmer weather she won't need that fireplace anymore. But then again theres no telling, wait till the summer BBQ's start and we shall see then. Thanks for letting me vent some anger, much appreciated!