Asiatic Hawksbeard

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Nov 23, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

This was touched upon in another threat. I have an infestation of Asiatic Hawksbeard eventhough I didnot have any last year. Probably spread by birds as it is only under the trees and not in the open spaces. On another thread, it was suggested to use bentazon (Basagran) to treat it. So far after two weeks it is still there. But that is not the concern: Hawksbeard is an annual, spread by seeds. The application of Dimension and fertilizer on May 1st just gave out as this stuff is basically a late fall weed.
    Would a second application of just Dimension with 0-0-7be advisable about Mid July-August 1? This would be for southern lawns which have a growing season from Mid April until late October or even to Mid-November when ground temps finally cool enough for some dormancy of the Centipede and St. Augustine.
    Any and all suggestion or thoughs on split applications of summer Pre-Em would be greatly appreciated?
    Thanks,
    Roy

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

Reward spot treatment will knock down Asiatic Hawksbeard in 24 to 48 hours. Pre-emerge will keep it from coming back. Just drippel the Reward down the center to effect the tap root. I know of no select that will control Asiatic Hawksbeard.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ric: Thanks for the tip on the reward spot treatment. However, my real question was about the Dimension Pre-Em that I use about May 1. Should I do a second application about 60-90 days after that? I know that almost all pre-em poop out by the time the late bloomer weeds like crabgrass and the asiiatic Hawksbeards are just coming on. Also, a concern is why thiese weeds were not effected by the pre-em. What is you suggesions of the double application of Dimension? Or, am I just wasting money on the second application or treat later than May 1 and later than February 15 with the 0-0-7 plus Atrazine. Turf is St. Augustine.
    Thanks,
    Roy

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

I really can't tell you how good Pre Emerge works on Hawksbeard since all my lawns are health enough to naturally keep Hawksbeard at bay. I suggest you re-sod those lawns with problems that bad.