1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Asked to lower rates!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylandscaping, Mar 20, 2006.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate people that do this...

Here is an email I got this morning.

I told you that you were high on the price, but I liked your follow up. I was under the impression that you would be sharpening your pencil and getting back to me. If you can come into the ballpark with your competitors, the business is yours. As it stands, you are not in the ball park.

Let me know,

I quoted him $29.00 + tax for weekly mowing of two townhouses (about 5,400sqft of turf per). Would take approx. 15 minutes with two guys. Have 20+ accounts in the same subdivision so travel time is not a significant factor in price.

My response was:

I'm sorry our rates are higher than the other quotes you received. However, I do not set our rates based on what another company charges and I will not lower our price to match them. Our pricing is structured on our operating costs (payroll, taxes, insurance, workers comp, equipment, etc). I feel rates I have quoted to maintain your property are more than reasonable.

If you decide to hire another landscape contractor, be sure to check their references and make sure they are insured. You are putting yourself at risk if the company you hire does not have insurance.

Please let me know either way.

Thank you.

Steve Krieger
  2. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Was that $29 each or for both?
  3. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

I'm licensed and insured. 5,400 sq ft for $29.00? That's way high. $17.00 I'll handle that myself while my partner cuts the other side. You only need a 21"push mower for something that small. IF you expect the owner to pay for your 60"ZTR forget that. They only will pay what is expected to cut their grass. Over investment in equipment does not=profits
  4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Let it go. You'll be able to find someone better later. I see nothing wrong with your price.
  5. qualitylandscaping

$29.00 + tax for both of them together so 10,800 sqft.

lowballer17- I don't expect the person to pay for my mowers. I paid cash for them. Financing is for lowballers. I expect my customers to pay for customer service, and great results. Did you notice he liked my follow up? We are one of the only companies in the area that will return phone calls, and follow up on quotes to see if there are any questions. Your going to mow 10,800sqft with a push mower for $34? Looks like an under investment in equipment will cost them more. And why would you cut anything for $17??? I won't drop the gate for less than $25.00.. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON I CAN'T GET LAWNS LIKE THIS FOR $40.00.....:hammerhead:
  6. qualitylandscaping

I know. I really don't need anymore customers. We are right around ~400 properties this year.

Just wanted to make sure everyone stands up for their price. DON'T LOWER YOUR RATES FOR ANYONE!!!!!! You will thank yourself later.:usflag:
  7. lowballer17

So paying cash for equipment lowers the overhead costs????
    I used to use only 21" push mowers up to 12,000 sq feet. I still try to only use them on the smaller lawns. Using a rider that weighs 800+lbs on a small front yard is horrible customer service.
    Customer service is far more than just answering/returning calls. Customer service is also about respect. I wont use a machine that I wouldnt put on my own lawn. Nothing worse that tire marks/ruts on a thin small lawn.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly.....I like the email you sent. It was tasstful and said everything that needed to be said. Let the ohter guy have it you already 'RUN' the developement anyway.
  9. qualitylandscaping

Tire marks and ruts are not caused by the machines. They are caused by the idiots that don't know how to operate them.
  10. lowballer17

800lbs on a small thin lawn not going to mark????
    Ah yeah...