1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Asking for input....

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ken gustafson, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

I am asking for opinions.......is there any need for locks for trailers in this industry? Ken
  2. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

We put locks on all of our trailers. You can never be to safe.

What trailer do you have?
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

They get ripped off here.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard stories of guys with ball locks getting cut off. I figure that if you're in that bad of a neighborhood, you probably shouldn't be leaving trailers overnight.
  5. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

we had a cherry 6 ton dump trailer stolen last summer, now all our trailers eithe go back to the yard at night or get ball and wheel locks if they have to stay on sight. Everything is insured but the inconvenience of losing the contents or special tools you may have had in it really sucks.
  6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we never leave a trailer onsite...but if we do for some reason we park a loader in front of it and lower the bucket on the tounge...if someone wants to steal it that bad they will get it no matter whats on it...we figure if they see a backhoe parked in front of it they may just keep driving.
  7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea at least they would have to start the machine and that will wake someone up and they will call the cops fast for sound violation. I never leave a trailer on site. It will use no more fuel to take it home and bring it back tomorrow vs. just driving the truck alone.
  8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well not only that but most times guys stealing trailers don't want to break into a machine as well...takes a lot of extra time when they can just go find another trailer where their hacksaw will actually work.
  9. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Most of the responses were very helpful...now if I could get some feedback it would be even better. Does anyone use trailer hitch locks other than a padlock?
    Padlocks are way to easy to bypass but am wondering if anyone uses anything else.........Ken
  10. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC