1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Asking for more money after job is completed???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by G.M.Landscaping, Mar 31, 2006.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Do you ever ask for more money after the job is completed? Every now and then I underbid a job. Sometimes it's just on materials, other on just labor. Sometimes both. Most of the time I just eat it if it's not much. Last year I did a job and needed $500 more worth of material and labor. I told the customer I needed more mulch then what I bid. They said no problem , we understand, just add on what is neccesary including the labor. I would of lost big time if they said no.

So I did it again today. Underbid it for 3 more hrs of work. $50 an hour ,so $150.
    Would you say something like: Wow that took longer then I was expecting. There was more work then I thought.
    See if they bite. Or is this just too unprofessional?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You said it nicely!
  3. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Im a newbie, just starting out solo, but that, to me, sounds like your problem.
    If you presented yourself as a professional, bid the job, and didnt bid enough, I feel like you should eat it and just consider it a lesson learned (OK, Twice).
    Live and learn, just remember to learn. You got lucky on the first one last year.
    Dont get me wrong, I still am worried about my bidding ability, but, well, I am hoping to learn from everyones mistakes, mine included.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well I say when you get to the point of where you know it is going to take you longer than you estimated.STOP,,get the customers ok to continue for more $$ .Show them that hey this is where we are and this is what I have left to complete the job.I was off by about this much and this is what it will cost to complete the work..apologize and hope they don't think your trying to rip them off.I always tell my clients it could go a bit more..That's why I bid the job and not by the hour..that way you can pad yourself to take into account situations like that....an estimate is just that,,,,,,,,,, an estimation of the price.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How big was the job that you went over 3 hrs? If i went over 2 hrs on a 15k job i really wouldn't worry about it.

I would NEVER ask for more money. You have to eat it till u learn how to bid better! Wait till you get lucky and finish a job early and make like 200 bucks an hour. That really makes your day!
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I totally disagree..you do not have to eat it at all.You could put your new business right under before you learn to estimate closely.That is way wrong thinking.
  7. olderthandirt

from here

Sorry She buy if I hire a guy to pour a concrete drive and he can't figure out how much crete he needs thats a lesson. Or I hire a roofer and he can't figure material or time thats a lesson.
    And school ain't cheap in this day and age.

Don't take on what you don't know and if you want to learn as you go then you pay the price

8. AMEN brother, say it loud then again.
  9. olderthandirt

from here

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  10. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

I agree. You are presenting yourself as a professional and a professional would know how long it's going to take to do a job. There are always exceptions (Maybe they want their mulch a little thicker or they didn't have a certain product etc). However, labor is something that you need to be on top of. 3 hours is a LONG time to go over. Nothing takes 3 hours, soldier! Work a little quicker, take it as a lesson learned, and don't make the mistake you just made again. My .02. However, it is Friday and I do believe this calls for a toast.

:drinkup: CHEERS!