Asking for work from another LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting so it seems absurd but I hear alot of guys say that they turn down work all the time mabey they dont want it, too busy or out of area.

What would be the best way to ask another LCO to refer unwanted work to you?

Has this ever happened to you personally?
  2. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The best way is the up front way. Tell them from the start what your intentions are, develope a relationship. Ask them to keep you in mind for the "junk" jobs and in turn you will no doubt get the ones that are too big for you and you can pass them up to them. As you grow you will be a little more selective and maybe you can help a new upstart in your area. the competition is not your other landscapers, it's the new car, vacation, room addition etc. that the prospective client might spend the money on.
    I've joined forces with a few in my area and it has worked well for us. Hope the same for you!
  3. I work a small area so I pass on work to crews that travel farther.

If you see someone working just go up and ask,wouldnt bother me.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I get phone calls, emails and walkups all the time asking me for jobs. I've passed on TONS of work this year to others starting out. Actually I'm in need of some other people now. Especially someone wanting to do residential landscaping.

I think you should walk up and ask. If you don't make them seem threatened they will probably be ok. Worst they can say is NO.
  5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

65Hoss said it well. We pass work to others frequently. They shouldn't feel threatened if you explain it well. If they do, they probably are concerned about their quality. Good luck. I'll check and see if I can get you some work down there.
  6. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Thanks Man. Lawnsite is the coolest! I never really run across to many guys while working but I think that mabey a well placed call may do the trick.