1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Asphalt coloring

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cgland, Mar 11, 2007.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that I am installing a border and rumble strips in the driveway. They are looking to get the remainder of the drive re-asphalted. Well...they don't want the black or red that you normally see, and I have heard about stamped asphalt where they color the asphalt w/ a powder or something. Anyone have any info on this? They are wanting something in the brown tones.

2. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris -

Burkholder Paving, division of Martin Limestone does it down here by us. I can't recall what they call it but I know they offer a variety of different colored asphalt. You can contact them at 717-354-1340. There's a vet clinic in Hinkletown off Martindale Road that had it done. 322 east to the light in Hinkletown and make a left, they are right there on the right.

Never inquired about it but I'd be curious to know how it compared price wise with pavers. It can't be that much less, longevity wise I know asphalt won't last as long.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Jarod-Their driveway is 480 ft long, so cost wise pavers are out if the question, but we are doing a paver border and 4 rumble strips within the drive. They are getting the entire drive recoated and they want something out of the ordinary. They don't want it stamped, just the color. I will give Burkholder a call. Thanks.

4. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

Stamping an existing driveway will run $3 lowballed and $5 normally per sq. ft. around here. Removing old asphalt, relaying and stamping will run about $9 bucks psf.
  5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Most guys lay regular black asphalt for about $1.75/sf here! Pretty damn hard to sell a decent paver when asphalt is the other option.