Asphalt Paving????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FIREMAN, Jul 6, 2001.

1. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

Has anyone here ever seen the procedure/equipment/technique for turning asphalt into concrete paver look alike? I have seen this advertised in Landscape management magazine.

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I haven't seen it but I think there was a thread about it a long time ago. I think the consensus was, as pressed asphalt paving, it would deform with traffic on hot days, leaving you with a silly-puttyized version of what you started with.

But don't quote me :rolleyes:

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

wouldnt it be awful in the northern parts of the counrty anyways. water will puddle in the cracks, freeze then pop. i dont think it would hold up as long.

4. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Imprinted asphalt is being done in this area and it looks as cheesy as it sounds. ZAsphalt and concrete both have two things in common, they will crack and separate wherever they are scored, and they will crack and separate wherever they want to. Also, if they color it it makes it difficult to seal. Cheaper than pavers, but they get what they pay for.

5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i have 16 years of blacktopping and never seen or heard of it around here .
    i have seen it in books and i would say it would work if you never put any thing on it well even then -------well i could go on and on
    so i will get to the point its a joke.

6. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Fireman,

Have you seen this? It really does look crappy. I've been noticing it in a lot of towns around NJ.

In the shopping areas where the sidewalks are all done in red pavers they do this in the crosswalks and paint it red. Problem is the red paint wears away and leaves it looking pretty bad.

I think Wyckoff in Bergen Co. has this.

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw some crosswalks done this way when I was in Maryland today. Every place that the vehicle tires ran across it was black and the untrafficed areas were red. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is a successful look. You are right -- it's a joke on whoever spec'd and approved it.

8. Nickdubya

Nickdubya LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

We do it, but you have to use infared first. Our jobs have turned out fine. We do it for all the Costco entries.