Asphalt Recycling

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by GRW, Jul 21, 2008.

1. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I Have been tossing around the idea of building my own asphalt recycling machine for hot pot hole repair. This is a service I have been wanting to offer but have been looking for a cost efficient way to do it.

Does anyone do this? Has anyone bought one or made their own?

I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but thought I would ask you guys if you have one of these could you send me some pictures or give me some pointers. ie things to watch for, things not to do.

My thought is to heat the old asphalt with a tiger torch (or 2) in a hopper and let the hot granular asphalt fall out of the bottom and shovel it out.
  2. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Sorry i have no picture try the intetnet. Your idea sounds good on paper. Please let me know how it turns out for you, Best of Luck.
  3. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Your mix will probably be to dry (heating the oils out). You will need to add maltines rejuvenator to the mix for it to work.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend of mine that does infra-red. This unit is ba to the bone. It folds down on the back of the truck, has two wings that fold out, and heats up like a giant broiler. It basically melts the existing asphalt down to bond with the new asphalt...melting it all in as one. It also works well to remove all the old oils and greases out of the lots before sealing.