Asphalt removal bid help

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bidding on this job and would like a ballpark number to charge and time required using a CAT 257B.
    approx 6200 sf. asphalt approx 3.75"-4" thick.
    Equals 77Cy or 155 tons.

The dump fees are zero, and distance to dump site 4 miles round trip.
    Assistance greatly appreciated.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a breaker ?

Whos hauling the asphalt away ?

I never heard of places taking used asphalt for free.

Do you have a grapple bucket for your skid or a 4 in 1 ?
  3. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I would use my Gehl 603 Mini and do the job in a day with 1 tandem for $7750
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I had to see what a Gehl 603 is and ya I agree with Lawnboy it would only take a day with a 12,000lb mini. A mini would be alot quicker than a skid steer.
  5. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

How do you figure it would be easier using a mini ex then a skid steer?? i would eat that job alive with my s330
  6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I've peeled pavement 2" thick, enough to fill an average gravel truck in less than 10 minutes flat, I can do it faster and cleaner than an excavator.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've never peeled asphalt with a skid, but excavators seem to break up asphalt way too much. You end up making a bigger mess than is needed with an excavator, asphalt just falls apart once you try to lift it. It's defiantely easier to break up with an excavator, but getting it off the ground and loading with a skid steer would be ideal.
  8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

This might be to expensive to buy a new bucket for one job but what if you used a slab crab like NateV has to pick up big chunks of it instead of dragging and breaking it up? Just thinking outloud...
  9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A grapple bucket really works good and makes short work of it.
  10. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

So what do you think for a BC price's ron?
    I know in my neck of woods that job would go for less than 1500 bucks, Time limit less then 5 hrs or you might as well go stand in the welfare line.
    With your skid I would say you will be the day, and spend most of that time trying to break it into smaller pieces. I hope you have a driver for your dump truck. I'd say you would need atleast 1500 to make any money.