Asphalt sealer on concrete

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Mike B., Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. LawnSite Member

I cleaned 104 driveways (concrete) in a town home community before they had the asphalt roadways sealed. It seems the sealing company allowed the home owners to drive on the roadways before the sealer had cured. 52 of the driveways now have sealer tire tracks on them.
    :hammerhead: The sealing company tried cleaning the sealer off with carb and choke cleaner, it didn't work. It turned the sealer brown.
    Is there a product or cleaner that will clean the sealer off with the help of a hot water pressure washer?
    Thanks, Mike

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Oil flo ..........................

3. pgrzes

pgrzes LawnSite Member

Probably would have cleaned off fairly easily BEFORE they sprayed Carb cleaner onto it. That basically dissolved it into a stain!!! Good Luck!!! Try Solve All, Or I am guessing oil Flo is similar.

4. Mike B.

Mike B. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The sealer distributor is giving me a one gallon sample of a citrus cleaner to try today. I will take some pictures today, I think the brown stains may be in the concrete permanently.

5. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that diesel works quite well, but that's before carb cleaner was sprayed

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is staining the concrete now, it would be similar to an oil stain on concrete. Try this, it works on various stains:
    Get a bag of cement, not a concrete mix, just pure Portland cement.
    Scatter a small amount, like a cupfull at a time, on the stained area until it lightly covers the stain. Scrub it into the pavement with a VERY STIFF brush. Sweep up the remaining cement when done. This should take the stain out. On a single oil spot, I really grind it into the concrete with the heel of my boot. So, you really need to scrub it hard on the stains.
    This is a lot of work, but it does remove the stain. I actually have done this with oil stains, and with sealcoat sealer. Of coures, there are different kinds of sealers, but I think it will work for you.

7. Mike B.

Mike B. LawnSite Member

Thanks I will try the portland cement next week on a couple of the worse driveways. the property manager and home owners are anxious to find a fix for the 20 or so driveways they used carb cleaner on.

8. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

How did this work out for you?

9. Mike B.

Mike B. LawnSite Member

"How did this work out for you?"
    I am still waiting for an OK from the property manager to try the cement. They are pretty upset with the seal coat contractor, I think this might get ugly!

10. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

you can try TKO, by Emolso. it gets oil out no trouble...not sure about sealer. might talk to the manufacturer to see if concrete sealer will cover it up.