1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Asphalt

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by vipermanz, Apr 1, 2005.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, what should i use to cut into asphalt? i am putting a drainage system around my house and i need to cut into the edge of some.

thanks

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Use a quick cut with an asphalt blade, preferably the diamond type. If you use the abrasive type blade, be prepared for a long job.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are using a diamond blade, make sure it's meant for asphalt. There's different blades for different materials....

Dan

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I'm not familiar with a diamond blade for asphalt but I definitely wouldn't' use the kind we have for pavers ... we rarely cut asphalt and when we do I buy the disposable ones. ....doesn't take that long.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Compared to cutting with a chisel and hammer I guess it doesn't take long. :laugh:

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I *think* the asphalt blades are also for "green" concrete, but I'm not sure. Asphalt and green concrete are softer and require a different hardness of the cutting medium.

Dan