Assistance purchasing a WB....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by boltzie42, Apr 25, 2007.

1. boltzie42

boltzie42 LawnSite Member

I just sold a 1983 LB with an aluminum deck that cost $500 in 1983 (my great uncles). It still ran strong but had some float and muffler problems that I didn't want to deal with. After looking at some Walk-Behind Mowers in the $300 to $400 range, I'm not sure if I'd be better off spending more for a quality mower. The items I've looked at are not constructed nearly as well as the old Lawn Boy, mainly with respect to the wheels / wheel attachments and handle attachments to the deck.

I only cut about 10,000 sq. ft. so a 21" wide deck will work fine. My yard is level, but is rough/bumpy due to the yard being about 75% dead when I purchased the home back in 2002. I fixed the yard myself but didn't put enough time into the yard with respect to leveling the topsoil before reseeding, hence the 'bumpy' conditions. I live in a development where the homeowners spend some time taking care of their yards.

It seems like alot of mowers have the 5.5hp Honda engine with a MTD deck made in their respective brand names. Tractor Supply has a mower with the Kawasaki FJ180 engine that's not too bad. Then of course theres the Briggs 6.75hp engines. I need some suggestions as most of the mowers in the $500 range seem pretty much the same and if the big rear wheel versions will help with my 'bumpy' yard. Also, I think I could save some $$ without the self-propelled as I'm not quite sure I need it.

Sorry for the long message.

Thanks.

2. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

For a 1/4 acre? Buy a Honda at a big box store fot $500 and be done with it for another 25 years.

3. tinovr

tinovr LawnSite Member

I've got an Ariens SW21 bought in 2002.. the swivel wheels were key when I was looking.. not many choices.. Spring coil broke once and that's it.. no problems.. has the B&S Intek 6.75 which seems ok.. Just run it dry every fall, change the oil and air filter, and sharpen the blade and you're good to go each spring..