Assosiation memberships??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Dec 8, 2002.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering jopining the NPLCA (Nebraska Profecional Lawn Care Association) and/or the NTF (Nebraska turfgrass foundation).

Does anyone here belong to these groups or any other profesional associations? Is It worth the cost for what you get out of it(nplca=$100/ntf=$50 per year)??

The NPLCA has informational meetings throughout the year and a couple fun events as well. I just attended a info meating on the new sales tax laws here that the sponserd and gained some good info from it.

The NTF puts on an annual three day conference (jan6-8, 2003) and a field day in the summer . They also work closely with the university in turfgrass research. Membership here would give me a discount to the conference. I can get my pest licence renewed at the conference, but I can do that other places as well.

I'm just wondering what the general opinion out there is , especialy of these two groups.

thanks

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I think the associations are great.. But you only get out of them what you put into them.. You need to be involved and attend the meetings.. It's a networking thing.. You not only learn from what the association does, but from the members as well. And the members are Pros in the industry thats why they are there.. You will learn the right ways to do things and how to handle situations. And alot of times you can draw on members to help you when you get into situations you cant or dont know how to handle, It's kind a like an extended family.... As is Lawnsite, only its' your local " lawnsite " ....... I find both my local association and Lawnsite to be extremely benefical in both the same ways and in differant ways... I dont think joining a local association is a waste. I am all for it...

3. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

There are a few local lcos who are talking about forming an assoc.
    we are wanting to dothis to focus a joint advertising effort against uninsured scrubs in our area. We all already work together on areg basis. Sub each other out ect. think it will help us???

shawn

4. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

we have one in omaha it is ogma you only get what you put in.:p

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, they will be worth it. In Indiana we have the Midwest Turf Foundation, and the Indiana Lawn & Landscape As. There functions are the same in Ind. as your Associations. Local Associations, are, I feel much more valuable than national ones. Your Turf Foundation will have better recomendations on grass cultivars for your area, fert. rates & timeing, cutting height, irrigation requirements, weather related stress, prevelent diseases. Your State Association is probably watching your law makers and helping educate them so that they are able to make informed decisions about things lile "notification Laws". The discounts on the siminars are important, and in my opinion every one should attend all that time, and money will allow. Unless you already know everything there is to know. Good Luck, Russ

6. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Thanks Paul.....although not a member of either.....for $150......sounds well worth it! Cant get ever have enough information! I live in NE but do 99% of my work in SD (1 of them borderline people.....lol) Will look for info. about either .....hope theres web info. Jan. conferance sounds good........thanks again!

(PS) Lots of Arnes in my area......

7. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Sorry misspelled that.........

Arens

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey brian
    I grew up just south of Crofton, sbout 20 miles from Yankton:D
    I even worked for Gurneys Landscaping one summer. My folks both work in Yankton now that they retired from farming.

It's good to hear from someone in the Knox/cedar county area:D :D

ps send me an e-mail