1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Asssuming its ok to put sign in their yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn dogg, Feb 14, 2008.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

I made a big no no, I finished a job and put one of my signs in the customers yard without asking. boy I got reemed out big time :nono: Usually i ask first but the customer is from out of town and i forgot to call, she came down to look at the job and was not happy. so everyone dont do like i did and assume its ok. you know what happens when one assumes. I think everything will be ok but time will tell.:hammerhead:
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The irony of it is, is that may be all based on principle. If you would have asked, she may have just said yes. Human nature is a funny thing.
  3. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I ask people after i am done sometimes if i can put a sign up, most have said yes. I guess your best advertisement is cutting a lawn and making the lawn next to it look like total crap! And then the sign sitting in the yard is just a magnet in the first place, and even more when the grass it is in is looking like a million bucks!
  4. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

Customers want their lawns cut, why would they want billboards on them? Lawns signs are a terrible way of advertising. Its like having to see all of those damn elections signs. Word of mouth is the way to get customer base.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought some job site signs this year because about six of my customers last year told me to put them up and I didn't have any. About four of those six customers lived on main streets or on a corner. So the signs would be seen by lots of people. I don't think its such a big deal around here. A lot of the bigger companies have them at their commercial properties as well as residentials.
  6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i do it on alot of my properties and get many jobs from them. I also love it when a big company is doing a yard by yours and it doesnt look so good.

finercut, where is dsm are ya from?
  7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Well, one of the lawns I picked up a few years ago, the house had just been built, and the landscaping was done by another guy, who also does mowing, but the homeowner hired me to do the mowing first. I think the other landscaper was pissed, and he came and put a sign on the yard, well, I didn't want it there so I took it back to my shop and it is now used for a dart board! The funny thing is, the homeowner told me to take the f***** sign off the lawn because the landscaper did a s**** job! Apparently the landscaper asked the homeowner if he could put a sign on the yard, and the homeowner said no.

from lehi,ut

what size are these signs? Got somebody good to make them?
  9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

They are about 18"x24"
  10. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

18''x 24''? thats too big for a residential yard. you want your work to stand out. not the sign. it would look better with a sign half that size. in a neighborhood your potential customers will stop and get the number, they dont need to read it at 55 mph. now if its just commercial that size might be ok but, i still think thats too big. thats the size of a for sale sign.