Asv 70

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TNdigger, Apr 12, 2008.

1. TNdigger

TNdigger LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of changes between the SR series and the PT Series in the 70's. Also i have heard that ASV are difficult to service and these style undercarriages are major maintenance problems. Any Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. TNdigger

TNdigger LawnSite Member

Also this machine is being priced in low 40k range. Is this Competitive?

3. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not really aware of any major changes to the PT70 over the SR70 but I do know that that undercarriage uses metal face seals just like the new CAT B series 2 and the new C series. I have seen a fair amount of them here in Wisconsin and the one or two folks I spoke to seem to like them.

4. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

They are super easy to service and my SR 80 undercarriage has been flawless. The 70 is the best deal going right now imho.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

ASV is still using the drive motor "pods", Cat uses an open system to hold the drive motors in place, other than that, the U/C's are much easier to rotate rollers around.

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure of the changes/updates but the color scheme look real good.

7. rguetter

rguetter LawnSite Member

If you get the later model SR70's they are the same as the PT series. Earlier ones did not use the steel face plate, metal cover on back, etc.

I bought an SR70 last fall and I'm in love. There's one poster in the lawnsite site that appears not to like ASV, but I have to tell you, its everything I've spec'd it to be.

I had it at my brother-in-laws a couple of weeks ago to move some earth. He has a John Deere (does not have tracks). When my b-in-law saw it sitting in my shed he called it a Transformer. After seeing it work he now calls it a cat. After about 45 minutes work, my father-in-law who was driving the JD put it in the shed and told me it probably makes more sense for me to just move the dirt as he wasn't doing anything valuable. Under mildly muddy conditions I generated a heaping bucket of dirt at each pass whereas the JD would fill the bucket about 1/4 full. What would have taken him a week to accompilish I did in about 2.5 hours.

8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I know it is a bigger machine but the PT 80 is my favorite. It offers the isolating rollers that give you a ride like no other and also seem to hug the ground better for more traction. It is though a wider and heavier machine but it is nice. The roll up door is very handy too.

9. rguetter

rguetter LawnSite Member

I agree, I liked the specs on the 80 much better too and if my circumstances were different I would have bought it. I have a hobby farm and just built a new house so in addition to the landscaping there is lots of other things that need attention. The reasons I didn't go with the 80 is about $5K more, its heavier, I only have a 1/2 ton suburban to pull it around, and for me the extra size didn't gain me anything for my purposes.

For me the 70 gives me what I need and the way I looked at it given I'm not a contractor I need to consider myself blessed for being able to buy what I did. Its kind of funny. Since purchasing, my wife has been noticing what everyone else has (mostly bobcat in our area) and is trying to figure out why I'm driving a cadillac ;-) Over the past year I've starting noticing a lot more ASV's in the extended area and I suspect over the next 10 years I'm going to see some changes in the ratios of the different machines.

10. HL Landscape

HL Landscape LawnSite Member

I bought an SR-70 last summer to replace my older RC-60, lets just say the 70 is alot more machine then the RC series. I chose the 70 over the 80 because of weight issues and even my dealer was nervous about the all the extra rollers in the suspension. However the 2-speed travel in the 80 would be a very nice option.

As far as the difference between the PT and SR I didn't notice anything different but the paint.