ASV backhoe attachment

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tnmtn, Feb 24, 2007.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i like the asv backhoe attachment. however not sure i need an ASV. was wondering if any aftermarket suppliers have a backhoe that can be operated from inside the Skid steer? any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to run one before you buy one (Cat offers the same version and renting one or demoing one should not be a problem). The visibility to the hole is very limited. Moving the controls to the cab is an improvement. However, it comes at the cost of less visibility. IMHO the value of these attachments is limited, especially considering the cost.

3. tnmtn

from NE Tn.

seemed like they would be good for shallow utility trenching up to 3 ft. deep. i agree the vis would be limited. i am considering the dark side( skid steer- mini ex). and not sure i can justify the price of both. just exploring options.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I used to run a backhoe attachment on a skid steer. I began looking for a used mini ex. I found an IHI 35J with a thumb for 16K. I bought it to test the skid steer/mini ex combo. I put several thousand hours on the IHI (great little machine) and was sold on the concept. You can spend 10K easy on a backhoe attachment or spend 15K and get a used excavator. There are times that it would be nice to have one again for very small jobs but over all I am glad to be done with them.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Everyone i ever knew with one, sold it.

The machine is to long then. You have bad visiblity. And most of all, its not mini x.

Even a 4 ton minx can move alot of material in a 8 hour day.

6. tnmtn

from NE Tn.

wow, $10,000 is more than i thought they would go for. i was more or less thinking out loud and haven't checked into prices. with that being the case it would also cover quite a few mini ex rentals as well. may do some demo's over the next few months.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It is unreal how much those attachments are. You can find cheaper one like Bradco that will run around 8K for the bigger models. The better built backhoe attachments like CAT and Deere are 10-12K.

8. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i bought a mini backhoe...for small trench work, it can only dig around 4-5 ft...i broke it twice, had it welded twice...it was a cheap model, versatech is the brand...i got mine for $800, its paid for itself but can only handle easy digging...the good thing is that i take it with me to all my jobs and it fits nicely on my trailer...