ASV or Cat?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirty Water, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've been looking at skid steers, and I really like both the tracked ASV models and the tracked CAT models.

For the money, which one would you guys reccomend?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Cat is going to be more expensive, but parts will be easier to come by because of the much larger dealer system. There is rumor that in a few years Cat is going to completely buy out ASV and their product will no longer be available, so that might be something to think about.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I priced both Cat and ASV.

I demo'd both Cat and ASV.

I bought the Cat 257B.

Very happy, no regrets except that I did not do it sooner.

[​IMG]

4. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

they are both great machines, but I often wonder about that undercarage when it comes to hard or tough digging

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 257B machines. You will never out do Caterpillar service, and you will never get better resale.
    There is no harder soil we have worked in than this stuff here in Southern California. From abrasives like DG to expansible clays, or rock riddled silt, nothing harder. And, I have yet to get the machine to stall, or stop when digging. With the 6 way blade we can easily cut 4" from the top and not even break the tracks loose. If I had my way, the 257 would have a 287 engine, but, bigger engines are always better.

If the rumor is true, the merge of Cat and ASV is already taking place. It started about 19 months ago. I have not seen anything in my earnings reports as of yet, but it should not be long.

6. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

I looked at ASV and Cat very close before buying my ASV RC-100. I think the comments are correct about cat having better service and dealer network system. The reason for going with ASV for me is that Cat does not make a machine with the speed, power and hydraulic HP of the RC-100. The Cats are great machines and you can't go wrong with either brand, the ASV was less money but the Cat had better financing deals. Both use ASV tracks and Cat controls and engines. I only have about 60 hours so far and hope that I won't find out the hard way that I need service and don't get the help I need. Best of luck with what ever you choose.