ASV Posi-Trac RC-60 Track Steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Green Pastures, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.asvi.com/rc60_main.cfm

I rented one of these today with a Harley Rake on it and a bucket on the side for doing seed bed prep work on 31K sq ft of gently rolling dirt.

Residential property. New turf installation.

I really like this machine. I was able to get all 31K done in under an hour and it did a FANTASTIC job. Filled in some low spots by grading down some high spots. All the while missing the already installed sprinkler heads.

Anybody else own one of these units?

I'm interested in long term ownership, reliability. I have a local dealer so parts and maintenance is not a problem but OTOH I don't want to purchase a problematic machine.

Thoughts?

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

My Cat dealer told me that the ASV machines aren't built very well... made comments to their being built in a garage in Minnesota. He also said the drive components weren't of the highest quality or durability. Even so, I haven't heard of anything failing on these machines.

3. lars

lars LawnSite Member

Have been running an RC 50 (smaller loader arms) for about 250 hours this summer. It has been an excellent machine. I love the pilot controls. Nothing is better for fine tuning work. Serviceability is great, much better than our old New Holland. And don't forget that Cat uses the ASV track system. Oh yea, Cat engine and control system too. (wonder what the cat dealer has to say about that) All in all it's a great machine for the money.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We had an RC-30, and a 257B Cat. Here is what is going to happen to ASV in the next 5 years. Cat has doubled all thier MTL machines to match ASV sizes. ASV runs Cat engines, and has Cat controls. Cat uses ASV tracks and suspension. There will be a merge in companies. ASV will allow Cat to use the track system and get royalties for the use, or, they will just sell out altogether, and Cat will discontinue the ASV line. Look at resale. Historically, Cat products bring more resale than any other equipment in thier class. This is documented not only by auction sales, provate sales as well. Bonding companies will bond Cat fleets for more money because of thier worth. That is proven by seeing the numbers of many bonding companies.

Instead of going to the RC-60, look hard at a Cat 247B series, or 257B. We have ours on the 3 year plan, where every three years we trade. If you do this, once ASV goes away, they won't have any resale. And, if you decide to keep the machine, you won't be able to get ASV exclusive parts.

The writing is on the wall, this is going to happen.

5. Green Pastures

Maybe I'll just stick with the Bobcat T190 or T300.......

I looked at Bobcat and ASV today and the Bobcat's look to be a WAY better design.

I do like the pattern of the ASV tracks over the Bobcat's though, they are less aggressive and leave a smoother finish.

I'm looking to get into one for running a tiller, Harley Rake, landscape rake and an auger.

I'll look into the Cat's now.......

BRB......

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

You'll be blown away...

7. Green Pastures

I did look at and test drive both brands yesterday. The Bobcat looks to me to be a far superior machine in many ways.

The only thing I'd like to see is a less aggressive track pattern.

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I will tell you why the Bobcat can't hold a candle to the Caterpillar. First, Cat service. Second to none. Second, Bobcat brand tracks are mounted on a rigid frame, with vulcanized rubber to a steel gear, which is coated with rubber that drives in the middle. The heat build up around that gear will cause the rubber vulcanization to separate, and when it does, those tracks cost you $2,000 per side. With the ASV track system Cat uses, there are air cooled open rollers on a fiberglass cord track. the difference when they wear is like night and day. With vulcanized steel, the tracks come unglued faster. With fiberglass cords, the tracks willstretch, and as they become more beat up, you can still run them,. There are several no nos that you need to learn about any MTL, and there is a course Caterpillar offers to train it's MTL owners how to operate thier machines. Once you take that course, it will answer any questions you ever had about MTL capabilties. We drive ours right up 2-1 slopes, side slope with it, push dirt with the 6 way blade, anything the steel track machines can do and then much more.

Bobcat machines will beat you to death, and thier controls are antiquated.

Just my opinion, get what ever suites you best, but Cat has so much more to offer than any other brands they ain't even worth looking at.

9. Green Pastures

Have you recently owned a Bobcat?

10. Green Pastures

Going to see the Cat's on Monday......

After doing alot of reading on the net, and after driving the machines Bobcat and ASV have to offer I was overall more impressed with the Bobcat than the ASV. The owner serviceability of the ASV was CRAP in direct comparison to the Bobcat. Open the back of the cat and EVERYTHING is right there, oil drain, fill and filter, Hydro fluid drain, fill and filter, Air filter, radiator fill and drain......

However I've since learned alot more about the benifits of the soft mounted track system the Cat's and ASV use as opposed to the hard mounted tracks the Bobcat uses, I need to go see the Cat's and drive them before I make up my mind.

Thanks guy's for all the responses.