ASV rc-100 or cat 297C?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by benau, Mar 19, 2008.

1. benau

benau LawnSite Member

i currently have a 2004 RC100 with 1400hrs and it has been problematic to say the least. Currently it is being cleaned/rebuilt due to a track motor failure sending metal contamination through the entire hydraulic system.
    I also have a wheeled 1996 JCB 185 robot, this machine has over 7000hrs on it and it just keeps going!
    I was actually hoping to get over 3000hrs in 5 years from the ASV without major trouble allowing for the undercarrage of course, sadly this hasnt been the case. Right now it will spend 4 weeks in the shop when i have constant work for it!!!!!!
    I have been seriously impressed with the stability and traction of the asv, it has allowed me to do many jobs it the steep country where i work that i simply could not have done safely with other machines and it has also been able to continue working in flat wet conditions when everything else on site has stopped. But due to the mechanical troubles and cost of parts im thinking of trading it in on a new machine once repaired.
    So I want a MTL type machine that handles like my old asv but without the need for my mechanic to be more familiar with it than anything else i own. He now knows rc100 electrics and hydraulics backwards.

I have read a few posts on this site and see im not the only one who has had reliability probs with asv's,
    Are the newer ASV's any better? (I have replacement 927B track parts fitted to mine that are improved designs that arent available from ASV and they were cheaper than the old part asv still uses)
    I also see there are weight distribution issues in the smaller cat MTL's is this also true for the 297C?
    with the ASV having about 10% more HP is there a noticable difference in performance?
    my main uses for this machine are mulching/brush cutting and earthmoving with a 4 in 1 bucket.
    all advice appreciated.
  2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say demo the Cat. You will like the better visibility. I would say demo both and make your own evaluation. Everyone on here is going to tell you one or the other and when it comes down to the end of the day it is your hard earned money that is being spent.
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Cat's service and reliability will keep you going longer, their SOS keeps you on top of everything.