ASV RC-30 No Start?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bbailey, Feb 12, 2007.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Went to start my ASV today and it would not start. Has been inside a warm shop for the last few weeks. Have not needed it and now there is snow on the way!!! Turn key over for glow plugs for a few seconds just like always and turn the key and it just cranks over, no start? WTF??? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I would start at the beginning. This is the best part of a diesel, no spark, plugs, etc. Just see if you are getting fuel from the tank to the filter or low pressure pump and then start tracing it forward to the injectors. You may have to crack a few injectors while cranking to see if you are getting it to them. You will know pretty quick what it is. I bet water in the fuel or clogged filter.
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to check out the pre-heater fuse. Its either a 50 or 60 amp fuse I forget which. They are easy to blow if you hold the heater on longer than a 10 count
  4. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

The ASV has a Cat/Perkins diesel that uses a electronic fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump. If you have good cranking, the machine always started normally before, and it has been kept warm inside so the it should not have an ice problem in the fuel. A fuel shut off solenoid is usually an obvious part on the injector pump with wires coming out if it. I don't have my ASV 30 here to go look ator I would take a picture for you, but sometimes a very light tap with a hammer can be enough to dislodge a stuck solenoid. I don't know how mechanical you are but the shut off solenoid is usually easily accessable and a common replacement item.