ASV RC50: Dealer Support, Backhoe attach.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by klaar, Apr 21, 2005.

1. klaar

klaar LawnSite Member

I demoed a CAT 247B, a Bobcat T180, and an ASV RC50. I'm leaning toward the ASV primarily because of the lower machine weight (trailering) and ground pressure, and secondarily the lower price and ease of getting in and out of the cab. I've heard from one owner of the RC50 (with 300 hours) who is disgusted with the service from his dealer near Harrisburg, PA. I'm hoping for feedback regarding ASV dealer service, and also regarding the backhoe attachment for this machine. Also, if you own such a machine with higher hours, can you give your opinion on the overall reliability of it?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I can't tell you what your dealer support will be like in your area, but here in Tidewater Virginia it's like this.

1. Caterpillar

2. Bobcat

3. ASV

It was a large part of the reason I bought a Cat 257B.

I drove my Cat across my best lawn the other day. I had to pull up a Cherry tree that Isabel had tipped over. I did not make any sharp turns, but after 5 minutes of being on the lawn you could not tell I had ever driven an 8 thousand pound machine across the lawn.

As far as ease of getting in and out of the cab....If you outfit it right you only have to do that a few times a day. How about comfort of the cab once you're in there? The ASV I demo'd had the most room but was not a comfortable seat. Even the Bobcat was more comfortable. My 257 is very comfortable, especially with the excellent heat and A/C system that actually works.

Demo, demo, demo.

[​IMG]

3. klaar

klaar LawnSite Member

Green Pastures:

Thank you for your reply. I actually just revisited the thread entitled "ASV Posi-Trac RC-60 Track Steer" that ran from 11-4-04 to 12-14-04 (I hope my terminology is acceptable). It refreshed my memory of the CAT demo, especially the glory of the throttle pedal.

The CAT dealer called today because he located a new 247B that is immediately available to me. He insists that the CAT will re-sell better than the ASV. His deal is no payments for 60 days, plus his interest rate is half of that offered by the ASV guy. Plus, he claims his selling price is about to jump by 4.5% due to an increase in steel prices.

The CAT is back in the running.

4. Green Pastures

The more I run my Cat the more I like it.

I've only had it a month or so, but there has not been one reason to regret the purchase.

A 247 is an awesome machine, I bought the 257 because I found it used (only 130 hrs) for $35K

5. REVPRO

REVPRO LawnSite Member

You Guys Make Me Jealous, Heat And Ac In The Cabs, All You Need Is A Radio Like My Old Mans Kubota And Youll Have It All. The Dealer Support In This Area Is Pretty Poor For Asv. I Got Fed Up With The One In Harrisburg And Tried The One Near The Maryland State Line, And It Was Worse. The Guy Told Me That My Machine Only Held 5 Gals. Of Hydro Oil, And He Couldnt Give Me An Engine Oil Capacity. And That Was After Being On Hold For Ten Min. It Seems That Asv Dealers Carry Them As Something Else To Sell, And Really Dont Want To Deal With Them. The Cat Dealer In Harrisburg Always Answers Any ?'s I Have And I Have Never Bought From Them Only Rented.

6. Green Pastures

ahem

I didn't tell you?

:cool2: :D :cool2: :D

[​IMG]

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dangit Scott, you're teasing! A cab for a 304CR we're looking at is $6k, and I don't even know if that includes A/C or not :cry: I'm so bummed!

8. REVPRO

REVPRO LawnSite Member

Nice Man, I Need To Try To Rig Up Something Like That In My Asv 2810, It Sure Would Beat The Earplugs.

9. Green Pastures

God has been very good to me and my business. :angel:

I could not have got here without the help and support of my mom though. She's a very smart lady.

10. yardscaper

yardscaper LawnSite Member

I just visited my ASV dealer today. It is actually the local Vermeer dealer, but those guys know their stuff! I had a great experience with them and plan on purchasing from them as soon as I sell my Power Trac equipment. I drove an RC60 today and was very impressed. I will probably get an RC50 with the RC60 weight kit on it to increase the lift capacity. I already own an RC30 and have been extremely happy with it. I would not hesitate to buy from my dealer. :p

Bobcat is also realy good to deal with down here. I would have to say that the Cat dealer is about the worst to deal with. They act as though they do not have time to deal with us. Primarily, all of our Cat dealers deal with the large machinery with a couple of smaller size units out front. :dizzy: