ASV RC50 Report Card

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cddva, Nov 29, 2006.

1. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

Thought I would share my 11 month experience with a 2005 RC50 purchased new in 12/05. It has about 320 hrs at this point (I'm a part-timer). So far, the starter solenoid was replaced (which drove me to replace the battery before realizing the real problem), the tilt cylinders have been replaced twice (on third set now) and the latest is a new alternator. All replaced under warranty without protest, except for the alternator. The reason I'm paying for the alternator is that I took it to the "local" ASV dealer/rental outfit for this service (more to this story) versus the dealer I bought it from (2 hours away). Found out that only the dealer you purchase from can do warranty work per ASV agreement (this is what the local dealer is telling me). This is to discourage people from doing what I did (buying a little cheaper from another dealer). Anyway, this post isn't meant as a gripe session. None of these are major repairs and before you accuse me of tilt cylinder abuse, the service manager where I bought the machine found out that the manufacturer acknowledged that there was a bad batch of cylinders out there but couldn't pin it down to pull them out of circulation so they just keep throwing a new set on hoping its a good set. I really like the machine for what I use it for. The local dealer says the RC50 model is their ASV "bread and butter" machine. Just thought I'd share my experience to date.

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Out of curiosity, why did the tilt cylinders fail?

3. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

My understanding is that a nut inside on the rod end is not the proper material grade or didn't get the required heat treatment. The nut material disintegrates into fine pieces which act as shrapnel and eventually clog and destroy the internals of the cylinder. The symptoms I had were the cylinders began making a metallic screeching noise during extension/retraction and eventually the rods bowed. In both cases, the dealer sent the defective cylinders back to the manufacturer for their "evaluation". There was never any accusations made of improper operation on my part. I do know there are actions to be avoided to prevent damage to these cylinders.

4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I would be concerned about metal getting into the hydraulic pumps and ruining the pump.So do they change the oil and filter each time????

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Contamination is a valid concern when something like that fails. They should change your fluids and your filter. Even if they didn't I would do it yourself. Considering that these machines' life blood is hyd fluid, I would not want any extra metal running through the hyd. system at 3K plus psi. Should your pump fail because of it (after warranty), showing that the failed cylinders was the cause would be impossible.