ASV SR80 or 70

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Michigan Badger, May 16, 2007.

1. Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about buying a SR80. But I would like to talk to someone who has one. One of the things I like about the 80 over the 70 is the wide tracks. If anyone has any Info. on the SR80, good or bad I would like to know before I go buy one.

2. itw

itw LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the SR80 also. I demo'd one about three weeks ago along with a John Deere CT322.(I wanted to demo a CT332 but dealer didn't have one).
    I had a Deere rubber tire before so I was partial to deere at first. But you get use to pilot controls after a while(though I thought I wouldnt at first) and I just liked the the ASV better.Different machine class I know but just the feel overall. The deere hydraulics groaned constantly and was loud.The forward/reverse controls was very stiff/ worked you to move the machine where as the 80 you worked it. The ASV though felt nice could use a little more power hydraulics wise and machine in my opinion but still powerful.
    Well now the bad part,fuel sending unit was bad with in moments of using it,thought they sent me a machine dead on empty but only took 1/2 gal. to fill up and still on E.,heater didnt work bad connection says mechanic at dealer,seat came out of floor(all the nuts came off seatbolts ),and one of the axle shaft started to back out of front wheel/boogy/roller?, found a cap that covers axle shaft head on one end laying in dirt and did some investigating and found where it came of and shaft was backing out.
    And I'm still looking at buying one. Hope I'm not a glutten for punishment. I think its a nice machine and that any brand will have some flaws that need to be taken care of by dealer. Shouldnt be that way with the $$ they cost. I just like how it felt.

3. Michigan Badger

Ya, I think it's going to be a good machine. I think I better rent one before I buy one. Just to see if anything goes bad. Thanks for the Info.

4. itw

itw LawnSite Member

Hopefully someone else will give us some input on their experience. Can you get a demo?? If not definitely rent one first. I had one dealer tell me they had a couple of upgrades since mid 06. so if you get a new 06 (left over 06) get the upgrades to it done by dealer. Shouldn't't cost you anything. According to one dealer.( who ways selling me an 07) Upgrades were windshield design, idler I think?, and something else not coming to me right now. Basically they were recall items.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

guys, we just bought an sr-80.

I had the dealer bring in the sr-70. I was convinced that was what I was going to buy. I just wanted to demo it to verify it.

Then, I found the 70 to be a total dog. Way underpowered and very easy to bog it down. We tried the 80, and with the additional 10 hp, performed MUCH better. I think it must have upgraded pumps as well, because it performs so much stronger all around. we've only been running it for a week, but on some very steep slopes that I don't think our T190 would handle. Not nearly the ground disturbance of a rigid undercarriage.

Like I said, we haven't had it for long, but I'll answer any questions I can. My reco though, is to stay away from the 70 unless you're doing lightweight or softscape work with it.

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

It could be that the 70 wasn't tuned correctly... of course it's possible that it simply is a dog, but I feel as if ASV wouldn't put out a "dog" given its reputation for a high power to weight ratio. (Yes, I could be wrong...)

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Another l/s outfit we work with had the same impression of the machine..... unfortunately, I think it's a dog.

8. Michigan Badger

to the top .

9. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

The one problem I think I see with the SR80 is that there calling there machine a "highflow" unit at 30 gallons per/min. Just how much of a drop off is there for some attachment that run at optimum flows in the very high 30's? I'm trying to find a turf friendly unit that can do it all, and this SR80 seems to be the best of the tracked models.
    Yet the A300 looks to the best performer overall of the tracked and non-tracked machine made today.
    There priced about the same loaded up.