ASV - Used SR80 or new PT80 ???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vvanherk, May 15, 2008.

1. vvanherk

vvanherk LawnSite Member
    from ON

Hey All.
    I pulled this question from my other thread, as I've narrowed down some things, and would like to just post this focused question.

I've researched and looked into some various things, and believe I have narrowed down my search to a demo ASV SR80 or a new PT80

They are going to drop off the SR80 for me to use over the weekend, so that should give me some time to verify that it is the right size, etc.

My dilemma will now be to purchase
    - demo SR80 (300+ hours) - $45K
    - new PT80 - $55K

The SR80 is still in OK shape. Some rust showing here and there. Some pretty good chunks out of a few of the track wheels. A few nicks here and there in the track. I would have kept it in better shape had I bought it new.

The new PT80 seems to be what I want as far as size and specs. Having new is nice, as I will know what happened with machine, and I can keep it good shape.

Is the PT80 worth $10K more then the demo SR80 ++??

Since I'm 'picky', is it fairly easy to touch up the paint on these things, and replace the track wheels, etc/ (just want to factor that into my offer for purchase).

Are these prices I'm being quoted any good? I havent worked them down or anything yet, as I want to be sure of the unit I want.

Any input or comments always appreciated. Thanks to all for your time.
  2. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I loooked at a used SR80 a few weeks ago. It had around 350 to 400 Hrs on it.

It seemed to me that the small things in the cab started fall apart or off (Switches, buttons, Small things) Other than that it ran well and had lots of power.

If it were me and i had the cash to spend I would jut get the new one. Nothing falling apart on a new one.

3. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

Boy, any machine with 300 hrs is not a demo. Rental machine, repo, customer brought it back etc is more like it. The cost to run a large CTL has got to be over 30.00 per hour. The hit alone on depriciation has got to be 10-15 per hour. Undercariage wear 10.00 per hour (?), I'm sure there is more. Times this 30.00 per hour by the 300+ hours and you have the spread between the machines. I would go new, enjoy the moment, and have a current model with steel hood, steel rear rollers, and no wondering about its past.
  4. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

Ooops-the 80 might not have steel on the back-my bad
  5. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

I have had an SR-80 since late spring of 06 - The machine is awesome, nothing falling apart, I really like the lap bars, but I can see if your bigger in the waist the new cab would be worth it. I like to buy new and take care of things my way, rather than hoping someone else did. Operating costs have been almost nill except fuel, oil, and air filter. The only thing I have done to for maintenance is grease and one track tigheting.

GOod luck.
  6. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

The only difference between PT and SR in that series is the paint! You can now buy steel rear wheels for them from your dealer. I have an SR80 and the undercarriange has over 1000hrs on it and not 1 wheel failure. It gets bashed by multiple drivers.