At 20 years, Bobcat gets a complete rebuild...

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by ROLLING THUNDER, Nov 12, 2010.

1. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

so you were able to hunt down everything, including the caution stickers? wow that is amazing. It looks absolutely awesome.

2. ROLLING THUNDER

ROLLING THUNDER LawnSite Member

I should have taken before pics, I won't make that mistake again.

On the caution stickers, for those that know, two are missing (corner of the front deck "finger cutter", and the air box top "change out")

I found about half the others new (3 are still available online) and the others I actually had to "work around"! In other words, I had to tape them off throughout the whole process.

Crazy, yea I know...

Spending an hour buffing out the stainless wire air vent under the handle pull top was a sure sign of madness. But it all came back...

3. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

neat!!! good job

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

dang, looks great man.

5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

You sir, are bonafide nutso! Nice work on that mower resto, and don't ever use it again, it belongs in the cutters hall of fame or the vintage mower palace or somethin'! Hats off on that one. I must be old, cause my arms started hurtin' when I thought of all the belt drive buntons I used, way back when.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i love the restoration, although i would not every mow with it again. does it still put down a good cut? what of the engine, still original? how does she run?

cool job

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Man that thing looks brand new! But was it worth it for the $$ you put into it? I wouldnt think so. I guess this is not your main mower? what special occasions do you use this for. Great work though man!

8. ROLLING THUNDER

ROLLING THUNDER LawnSite Member

Thanks to all!

Some great questions.

1. Cut? Perfect, all new spindles and new blades and it is perfect, absolutely perfect and smooth spin. It could only be this good the next time fresh belts spin fresh spindles spin fresh blades. Nothing like the sound these rigs made with there extra heavy front decks from back when.

2. Was it worth the money? I was a dirt devil when I first bought it, this machine paid for itself and whole lot more. I could run out and buy a new one for $4K++ or, for about $1,500 I can rebuild. What is the platform, the "bones"? solid steel...no plastics, no alloys, the only aluminum is on the engine and the Kawasaki FB460v is legendary, well worth the rebuild. Net, net? Good to go for another decade and as soon as it was done I took it down to the ancient ones at my local equipment shop.

Direct Quotes:

"Wowwy, wowwy, my Godness, you want to sell that?" Them

"Sure, but I would only have to buy a new one from you" Me

"Don't do that, they aren't the same, nope, don't do that. That engine was one of the best they ever made and the cutter too. If you can get the parts, go man go"

Nuff said..

My son and both daughters learned to cut on this machine. They are very pleased to see it all dolled up and my guess they will all want it when I am liming the big field...

9. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

that looks sharp!

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

wow that looks really good man!