At High pressure HUNTER pgp's _________

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

when the popup piston is roughed up, replacing the entire head is the only best option

3. hunterpreferred

hunterpreferred LawnSite Member

We swap out PGP's daily with I 20's. I would never waste time replacing the seal only to do it again in the very near future. We installed only PGP's for about 10 years and I sometimes feel bad trying to explain to the home owner that the heads we installed are junk. Strange part is most of them don't expect anything to last more than 5 years and they say just replace them all. We now only install I 20's and I feel they are a much better product for only a few dollars more. The seals are completely different and I think the 3 threads on the body do a much better job keeping it tight opposed to the single thread on the PGP. I wouldn't install a PGP now if you gave me a free case.

4. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

Uh no, the local Hunter rep told me PGPs were not made to withstand over 50psi of pressure. Of course it will handle the pressure on for a while, but that head 6 months from now will have all of the gears stripped out.

Another question, does flow control reducer the pressure? You insinuate that it does and I am not sure I agree with that. Jim? Mike?

5. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

....................yes!

6. Wet_Boots

A lot of early Rainbird gear-drive rotors simply stopped turning, and at that point, who cares about its superior wiper seal?

7. Wet_Boots

I-20 heads have the exact same gear drive as the PGP - getting rid of the smallest nozzles can't help but improve its track record in comparison to the PGP

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The Hunter rep needs to read the specs on the head then.

Why don't you agree? Perhaps a math lesson?

http://water.me.vccs.edu/courses/CIV240/lesson3b_math.htm

or maybe this will help.

http://www.ctgclean.com/tech-blog/2012/03/reducing-flow-vs-reducing-pressure-which-is-it/

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

True, the fact that we knew how to install and used stainless risers might have helped, as well. :waving:

10. Wet_Boots

the metal shell on the riser does zip for the gear drive, just like it does zip for the actual connection of the nozzle turret, which breaks off as easily as it does on a PGP