At High pressure HUNTER pgp's _________

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

I don't even know why they make a pgp, how much more does it actually cost to manufacturer an I-20? 30 cents? Its like buying a lexus when you could buy a Toyota... same f''''ing thing.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Do you really like the slip clutch? I think that may have the potential to backfire.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not........:nono:

4. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

I do really like it. I haven't seen any real negatives out of it so far.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The original clutches, such as on original fixed-arc Hunter rotors, or Rainbird R-50's, or even the redoubtable Safe-T-Lawn rotor (man, that head had it all!) are great "harm-proofing" - the new 5004 clutch might bring on callbacks.

6. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct about the pressure part. That spring is very strong and I wouldn't use i-20's on unregulated systems with really low pressure. That strong spring is really a blessing though. Over the long haul, the I-20 is going to have a lot less issues with retracting problems than it's cheaper family mate. Also does a good job of checking off without muddying up the head with pooling drain water on new installs.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not really sure what this means. Specs say the rotor is built to withstand a max pressure @ 100PSI. If in reality it is only built to withstand a max pressure @ 50PSI, then I would think that is false advertising. Regardless, you shouldn't be running a PGP, or any mid-range rotor, much higher than 50 PSI to begin with.

Depends on the site. If I had excessive pressure, I would personally lean towards a pressure reducing valve.

http://www.griswoldcontrols.com/pro-dws.html

8. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

I was just referring to his personal experience with pgps.

I read your link. Lets say you have a 5/8 meter, would it work to install a 2" prv? That would give you the greatest range to manipulate the pressure from 0-160. The other smaller prv's seem to have less flexibility.

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Shoot em with your Glock.:hammerhead:

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but why would you do that? Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but the regulating range on the DW series valves is 5-100 PSI, and the 2000 series 5-125 PSI, regardless of size.