1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

At least he didnt lie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Sep 16, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Been having trouble with one of my workers I hired on about a month ago. He used to work at a golf coarse for 5 years so I hoped he would do me good. After 1 week he lost control of a walk behind and ran into a garage door. Lead guy saw it happen and said it looked like he slipped on driveway :angry: . Then a couple weeks later he was push mowing new sod and scalped it :realmad: . I gave him a strick warning that if he srews up again, bye. Then this morning he comes to work seems a bit disoriented and acting dumber than usual (he isnt real bright to start with). One crew left & he got in the truck with me. Thats when I can smell alcohol so I asked him if he has been drinking. He sais "just a few drinks much earlier". I dont know why, but I then asked him if he was impaired. He sais yea payup . Obviously I canned him on the spot. Now thinking back in hind sight, the other two occurences both happend on thursdays. Well I pay my guys on wednesdays so guess what he does with his check
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay our guys at end of last day. We had some bad workers a few years ago that didnt show the next day if we paid them in the middle of the week.
  3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

ditto here! Pay on wednesday drunk on thursday, pay on thursday drunk on friday.
  4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Drunk at work! Don't let the door hit him on the ass on the way out.
    If he hurts someone it is YOUR ass on the line!

This is a simple one.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Were his stripes a little wavy?????? :D
  6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I pay my guys Friday at end of day. Be there done that.
  7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

He didnt get a chance to put down any stripes, at least today he didnt :)
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's one of the reasons they say to NEVER take your vehicles in to places like muffler and brake shops on Saturdays. lol

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

First off that is unfortunate for both you and your worker.You lose an employee, he loses a job and has to contend with being fired and now must tell every one that he interviews with the reason he was fired.

Most of the positions that i have worked at have had very strict policy when it comes to such things as drinking on the job, they just do not tolerate such a thing,even the various sales positions have those policy's in effect as well as ram don drug testing.

Pay days there again it has been , most companies pay at the end of the week, or if you direct deposit it would depend on the actual payroll dates.
    One company went so far that if the direct deposit date was on a Friday as most of them were, the bank would show the monies going in Friday morning but not available till Saturday's. payup payup